ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

iMac hard drive configurations?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean OlesiukiMac hard drive configurations?
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 12:10:53 am

Hey all! Wrote something similar in the After Effects section but wondering from the Premiere experts if there are different opinions, as I'll mostly be working in Premiere with 4k files, but also After Effects, Element 3D, a little Maya, etc. Projects will usually be 2-10 minutes in length.

Am going to be getting a new iMac, late 2015 27inch:
- 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
- 32GB or 64GB RAM
- AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

Trying to decide on how my hard drive configuration should be. Deciding between 512GB or 1TB internal SSD, and also options on externals. In your opinion what is the best workflow with iMacs that only have space for 1 internal drive (minus breaking off the screen)?

512GB route would most likely involve getting a large RAID for media and projects, as well as housing older media and projects.
1 TB route would involve cache AND current project and current media on same internal drive, with older projects and media on a cheaper external for archiving. This route will also be cheaper, but how would it be if the cache AND media are on the same drive even if it is really fast?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: iMac hard drive configurations?
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 4:36:45 am

Hi Sean,

I would just use the SSD for OS/programs only. Repeated read/write will shorten the life of an SSD unless you have a high end SLC drive.

For external you can look at a RAID 0,1,or 5, depending on your budget. USB3 or even better Thunderbolt (the only drawback with Thunderbolt and that you can only use on a Mac). I like Caldigit, but there are many others.

RAID 0 will means constant backups (hourly), and keeping your project files on your main OS drive. RAID 1 or 5 with twice daily incremental backups, you can keep everything on there.I like Chrono sync for backup, again, you have many choices there.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]