ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ramin DoostanNeed Advice: Not credited in the final project.
by on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:32:56 am

Hi,

I'm in a tough position. I'm an editor with a few years of experience in the field and I am in unfamiliar waters at the moment.

I've learned the hard way to draw contracts for any sort of job I do. I took a job to edit a music video for a friend, an artist without a written contract. However, being an easy and trusting guy, I accepted the artist's word saying he'll pay my compensation after the video is released since we started on good grounds and he's known me for a few years and we've done some work together before.

I spent 70+ hours on the project and knowing the artist as "a friend", I handed the final video to him to take it to a lab for color correction I didn't hesitate to oblige. However, I just saw the video online today and found out that I'm not credited at all. Instead, he credited himself as the director and the editor.

The money is of an less importance. What hurts the most is not being acknowledged for all the hard work I've put in on a discount rate for a hopeful artist who's on the budget to make a break in the music video scene.

The video is on YouTube and is sent to be played on a few TV stations. I'm here pleading for any advice from fellow editors cause I'm in a situation I have never been put into.

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Dec 26, 2015 at 3:46:16 am.

Eric SantiagoRe: Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.
by on Dec 25, 2015 at 11:23:55 pm

Thats a tough one.
Unless you want to bring legal in then it will all be just sour grapes at this point.
Some artists like to give themselves the full credit even at the songwriting and producing stage.
How big is the artists popularity in your area?
Have you tried talking to him/ner?
Are there others involved in the project that can vouch for your work?
Next to posting comments in the YouTube site its really going to be a pissing match unless you go with legal.
Send a hand-written or signed letter with your concerns to him.
Maybe he/she will at least open up...hoping of course.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.
by on Dec 26, 2015 at 1:35:28 am
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Dec 26, 2015 at 8:17:04 am

Consider speaking with an attorney to discuss your options.

Return to posts index

Ramin DoostanRe: Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 2:49:08 am

Can I ask YouTube to remove the video on copyright ground? Something like a creative work copyright?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]