ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex NewtonEditing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 11:56:18 am

Hi there,

I'm looking at purchasing a Sony FS7 (or equivalent 4K camera) but am concerned about whether my MacBook Pro with Premiere CS6 has the necessary capabilities to edit 4K or high frame rate 1080p footage. I'm aware that I could compress the footage (create proxies) and do an offline edit but I often have very quick turnarounds for my projects thus making this process inconvenient.

This is my MacBook Pro spec. It currently works well with 1080p Canon C100 footage:

PROCESSOR: 2.5 GHz Inte Core i5
MEMORY: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GRAPHICS: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024GB

If this is insufficient what spec do you guys think is the minimum I need to upgrade to?

Cheers and happy Christmas!

Alex

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:37:10 pm
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:44:40 pm

What is your storage setup with regard to internal/external, SSD/HDD, and JBOD/RAID?

Even with fast storage your system will likely be strained at 4k, but I will leave it to other posters to provide more definitive comments.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 5:38:13 pm

Unless you upgrade your software to the last release of CC 2015 you will have to transcode your 4K footage from the Sony camera, because XAVCi was only optimized for Premiere in the new release, and all previous releases had huge issues playing back XAVCi without dropping frames.

Beyond that, you will need a beefy RAID - whether you'll need a 4-drive or 8-drive RAID I can't tell you now, as I have yet to run the numbers using the new release of Premiere CC.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Alex NewtonRe: Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 6:56:53 pm

Ah, that's good to know, thanks David.

Do you know if I'd likely experience the same problem with Canon Cinema Range 4K cameras and/or the Blackmagic Design camera?

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 24, 2015 at 4:06:43 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Dec 24, 2015 at 4:25:48 pm

Along with the other good advice, here's something to think about. I have a MBPro with the latest Adobe software, i7, 16 GB RAM and a 2MB graphics card, (mid 2014 MBPro 15"). I haven't edited Sony's 4K but this machine struggles to keep up with the 4K from my GH4. So my thought is that you will likely not be thrilled with the performance you get from your machine. I also have a C100 and yes, it works fine for editing 1080p, as yours does. But you should, as mentioned, upgrade your Premiere. I'm running the latest version.

At present, I'm just getting by with the fact that when the footage has to be loaded into the graphics card cache which is likely causing the stuttering of the footage the first time, it is really noticeablly slow. It does seem to flow better once it has been loaded into memory. I also use both esata RAIDs (that go through a box that converts the flow to TB) and native TB. I'm not using SSID drives for my editing work yet. It could help also .

My guess is that to really edit 4k without seeing a lag, all of us are going to have to upgrade to faster processors than the i7s and 4GB faster graphics cards. I see that the Windows world has Xeon processor laptops by Dell and HP, but they are not much cheaper than buying a MacPro when fully configured.

So I think you are at the bare minimum to edit 4k, and probably should upgrade your laptop and Pr or proxy your footage if in a hurry.

Al

Return to posts index

Alex NewtonRe: Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 29, 2015 at 3:17:29 pm

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply.

As you say it sounds like without creating proxies I'm going to struggle to edit 4K sufficiently with my current setup.

Out of curiosity, and this question goes out to Ivan and David too (thanks for both of your replies btw), if I do creative proxies of the 4K footage and then relink the footage once I've done the edit, am I going to have problems with XAVCi as I'm using CS6 even though I'm only doing the final export with the 4K footage and not the edit itself?

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Editing 4K from a Sony FS7 or equivilent on a Macbook Pro
by on Dec 29, 2015 at 3:38:30 pm

I don't know the answer but the CS6 software has not been updated with features in quite some time. I would be worried you would.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]