ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Multi-channel Audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack BonnettMulti-channel Audio
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 4:13:10 pm

Sorry I don't mean to spam the forums honest. I posted this over on the Media Encoder forum as I assumed that my issue was there but now I'm not so sure as I can't even get a quick encode for vimeo through Quicktime to downmix my audio because it's keeping it as two separate AAC tracks which it never used to do through FCP.

I have Premiere set up as a multichannel audio project with 4 channels of audio (1+2 and 3+4). A1 has contributor 1's voice centred A2 has contributor 2's voice centred A3 has a stereo music track and A4 has a stereo music track. The track mixer is set to send A1 and A2 to 1+2 and A3 and A4 to 3+4. The file that is played out has 2 stereo channels of audio and I'm able to delete the music and keep the voice if I so wish, (this is what I need to do) however unless I cannel map in Episode I can't seem to get anything to simply downmix the audio to stereo. Where am I going wrong?

I've got a Quicktime edit that I've produced in Premiere with two stereo tracks on it, i.e voice on 1+2 music on 3+4. The quicktime file recognises this and plays back fine. However when I encode out of Media Encoder to get an h.264 to go onto the web I'm only getting 1+2 on the encodes. What am I missing in order to get Media Encoder to do a mixdown to a stereo file on output?

The Source when I put it in Media Encoder says, 1920x1080 (1.0) 25fps, Progressive 48000 Hz 4 Channel

so it recognises that there are multiple audio channels there.

The Media Encoder Manual says that it will automatically downmix available channels if Stereo output is selected. Which it is (Output: 1920x1080 (1.0) Progressive VBR, AAC 320kbps 48kHz, Stereo).

However instead of downmixing Media Encoder is still just throwing away the two channels of audio that contain the pieces music. Any suggestions?

Episode Pro which I normally use has a channel mapper is there something similar in Media Encoder? This meant I could say send both 1+2 and 3+4 to channels 1+2 in the final h264.

Once again thanks for all the help guys and girls.

Return to posts index

Jack BonnettRe: Multi-channel Audio
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 4:49:23 pm
Last Edited By Jack Bonnett on Dec 22, 2015 at 4:50:29 pm

The plot thickens......

When I run a file with split audio produced on my Snow Leopard system through Quicktime in order to get a quick 720p encode for viewing on vimeo, using the Snow Leopard system I get a file that is

H.264 1280x720
AAC 44100Hz Stereo (L,R)

The same file run through Quicktime on my El Capitan System is

H.264 1280x720
AAC 48000Hz Stereo (L,R)
AAC 48000Hz Stereo (L,R)

So it's no longer doing what I am (probably incorrectly) calling a mixdown when this is uploaded to vimeo only one of the channels is going up..... No idea what any of that shows and it still doesn't change the fact that Media Encoder is throwing away all the channels except the first two when I do an encode.

Return to posts index

Declan SmithRe: Multi-channel Audio
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 6:12:46 pm

I am assuming that your sequence is multichannel ?

What I would suggest is to drag your sequence to create a nested multichannel sequence in PP.

Next, in the mixer for Audio 1, click the multichannel symbol and assign outputs 1 & 2 to each of the stereo pairs. Now rendering from this will have a stereo mix on channels 1 & 2

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Jack BonnettRe: Multi-channel Audio
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 11:37:19 am

Yeah thank you, this is what I've done in the end.

However because I do a lot of news type shows where we run compilations of previous packages etc that have gone out I find it convenient to have my masters archived with split channel audio so I can simply lay them in a timeline and remove the audio. Seems a shame to have to make sure that I have a stereo and split channel file 'on hand' just in case, when up until now I've been ok with just one......

The file that I am getting out of Premiere is giving me what I was wanting, which is to say a ProRes file with the interviewees dialogue cut on a stereo track and the sound effects and music on another one. I can now where necessary put the ProRes playout into another project and remove the music to just use the interview.

However when I encode this ProRes file through media encoder to upload to the web etc I'm only getting the interview dialogue out the other end and not the music etc too.

Interestingly (or not) I always used to do quick encodes of files for viewing on vimeo with Quicktime's 720 preset but this doesn't seem to be mixing down the audio either anymore since moving from a Snow Leopard system to an El Capitan one. Instead the files are coming out with two discreet stereo tracks, the second of which is discarded when uploading anyway....

Once again thanks for the response

Return to posts index

Declan SmithRe: Multi-channel Audio
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 5:21:51 pm

Ok, this has made me do a tutorial that I had been planning on doing for ages. It's easier to watch it than explain it, but in essence I go through configuring the Adobe Audio mixer to create sub mixes and routing them to provide a stereo mix and separate audio channels in the same multichannel setup, both pre and post fader versions. If you have 8minutes, watch this and hopefully it will show a usable workflow.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]