ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe-certified GPU cards - Quadro 400 with Premiere Pro (CC 2015)?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom LaughlinAdobe-certified GPU cards - Quadro 400 with Premiere Pro (CC 2015)?
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 10:01:59 pm
Last Edited By Tom Laughlin on Dec 21, 2015 at 10:27:23 pm

Happy Holidays,

Just wanted to if the list of "Adobe-certified GPU cards" will be changing drastically in the next few years, and if the (Mac) Quadro 4000 will be or not be a qualified graphics card in the next year or so for Premiere Pro (CC 2015)?

Here's the official list:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

I noticed the (Mac) Quadro 4000 is listed for Premiere Pro (CC 2014), but not for Premiere Pro (CC 2015) . Anyone successfully running Premiere Pro (CC 2015) with a (Mac) Quadro 4000?

I'm looking to upgrade graphics card, and I can get a Quadro 4000, at a fairly ok price, I've also heard the GTX-680, is a really good one. I just do not want to drop money on a used Quadro 4000 that Adobe may no longer support (CUDA) in the next few months...

Any thoughts? What cards are you running with, and what's their life expectancies?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Adobe-certified GPU cards - Quadro 400 with Premiere Pro (CC 2015)?
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 8:55:56 pm

Just bought a GeForce 980ti for testing in some older Mac Pro towers. Have a bunch of Quadro 4000's in other towers and they are getting long in the tooth. Definitely wouldn't buy one today with all the newer GPU's out there. With El Capitan and the new Nvidia web drivers, you can practically run a PC GPU card in your old Mac Pro tower... but you won't get the boot screen, unless you get it flashed by a company like MacVidCards. Get one of the newer GPU cards so you won't have a issue with Premiere CC2015 going forward.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Tom LaughlinRe: Adobe-certified GPU cards - Quadro 400 with Premiere Pro (CC 2015)?
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 9:13:42 pm

Does a 4GB Quadro 4000, inside a 12-core MacPro (2010) make any difference? Rather than buying a GeForce 980ti and flashing it and using it inside a 12-core MacPro (2010) ? Is there a performance and price jump? Or is it a situation of older card vs newer card and one being more current and the other one being more outdated soon?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

RJ MilesRe: Adobe-certified GPU cards - Quadro 400 with Premiere Pro (CC 2015)?
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 9:50:05 pm

It really depends on how you'll be using the card. I wanted the GPU to support a 4 screen 4K edit setup. The GTX 680 could not do it. The GTX 980 could do it but with limitations on screen resolutions of monitors 3 & 4. The GTX 980 Ti ended up being perfect for me.

As has been said, you don't need a Mac compatible version if you have a work around to support the PC version. I have the PC version Zotac GTX 980 Ti which I got at B&H for $610 a few weeks ago. MacVidCards can install a Mac EFI flash for $180, but I don't need that and it would also complicate any warranty claim down the road.

I use the Share Screen method for setting up the GTX 980 Ti. I use a Mac Mini with 10.7.5 installed which I keep around for dusting off legacy FCPro 7.0.3 projects. Screen sharing enables you to see everything you need on the Mac Pro for installing updates, upgrading nVIDIA web drivers, etc.

There is lots of "new" GPU rumored for next summer, but who knows what that means for any really product.

IMHO, I would choose the GTX 980 Ti and save the $$$ over a Titan X. If you're not going to be pushing the GPU as hard as I want to, I think the GTX 980 is an even better choice in the $450 range. Lastly, given you can pick up a used GTX 680 Mac version for around $300, that would let you save more $$$ for what might come next year.

As far as what Adobe officially supports... they have updated the code to allow the important CC programs to access the GPU acceleration of all the GPUs we're talking about. I'm using the 980 Ti with both Premiere Pro and AE without issues.

Good luck with your decision.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]