ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Solved: How to speed up AE Dynamic Link preview / how to make greyed out playback res options active?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc NiborSolved: How to speed up AE Dynamic Link preview / how to make greyed out playback res options active?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 12:15:15 pm
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:37:16 pm

The settings 1/8 and 1/16 for the resolution of playback and still are all the time greyed out.
In fact I never have seen them available.

Does anyone know how to set these superlow settings active?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: how to make greyed out playback res options active?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 1:04:02 pm

It depends on the resolution of your footage.

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: how to make greyed out playback res options active?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 1:27:52 pm

Thank you Tero,
in that case I think I need to completely rephrase this question.

I am working with a quite renderheavy AE composition which I inserted with dynamic link. The preview is obviously VERY slow.

I am looking for a way to speed up the rendering of the preview in Premiere. In AE I do this by just changing the preview resolution to for example 16/16 which makes it possible to get decent speed.

Right now it takes roughly 20 seconds to update one single frame in premiere due to the complexity of the composition.

I got two possibilities...
a) render out the clip in AE and do this back and forth a few times until it fits
b) find a way to speed up the preview.... the only way I can think of is to somehow reduce the resolution of the Preview... but 1/4 is still not enough.

Maybe I can use a different sized temporary precomp an load that instead of the final comp in Premiere until I am done with editing would work?

What resolution does it have to be in so that 1/16 is available for preview?
... and maybe more important... does the preview resolution setting in premiere even affect the preview render resolution of the AE part?

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: how to make greyed out playback res options active?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 2:22:05 pm

If you go to AE....

you can use AE's Proxy functionality to create a proxy and set it to be used for the comp.

this will make it much lighter in PPro...

and still allow you to maintain the dynamic link as you currently have it set....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 3:10:05 pm
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on Dec 18, 2015 at 4:35:57 pm

Alex, this is a GREAT tip... I did not know about AE Proxies until now.
I just looked it up and checked the basic functionality.
Right in this particular case I'm not sure though if it will solve my problem.

The reason why I used dynamic link in this case is that I need to "sync" several moving things inside of the AE project to all the rest in Premiere. Basically just slide and nudge stuff back and forth and fix animation keyframes until everything lines up. From what I've understood so far, using the proxies turns the elements temporarily into "stills" - which in this case prevents me from doing what I need to accomplish.

EDIT: just to make sure this is clear enough.... I got BOTH programs open. So I adjust keyframes etc in AE and then check if everything lines up with what I have in premiere.

To make a long story short... can you think of ANY way how to speed up things on the preview resolution end... either in Premiere or in AE so that in this case I can leave the content alone?

The only Idea I had by myself so far is to take the AE render comp > create a new comp at 1/16th of the size and place it inside of it... then temporarily use this comp in Premiere.

EDIT 2:
...I just tried that and it does NOT work as I expected!
When I preview the superlowres comp directly in AE I get 0.5FPS which is still acceptable.
Previewing the same comp in Premiere via Dynamic link gives me one frame every 15 Seconds!
I think the reason is that dynamic link only uses a single core.
.... I guess need to look for a different approach ; )

I was expecting the same functionality by reducing the preview resolution in premiere with the click of just one button... but that brings me back to the start.... why is it greyed out? (which was only partially answered yet ; )

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: how to make greyed out playback res options active?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 4:53:08 pm

I don't have any idea why your resolution options are grayed out, sorry.

I do, however, have a possible suggestion to improve your workflow through dynamic link. Use Markers. Markers should translate between Premier and AE so you can set a marker at a certain time you need something to happen in AE and then in AE set the action according to that marker. Obviously, you can set multiple marker and even label them, you might even be able to color them, though I'm not sure about color.

Sorry I can't be of more help, just thought I'd jump in and throw out something that might help.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: how to make greyed out playback res options active?
by on Dec 18, 2015 at 6:52:26 pm

These only seem to work on 4k sequences. You could play with a framerate temp setting like 10fps for a 29.97 comp or 12fps for a 23.98fps comp. Do you have your comp settings to maintain resolution settings when nested? That might translate then a setting of 1/16 in AE to the same in Premier.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2015 at 7:26:57 pm
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on Feb 9, 2016 at 7:01:06 pm

Thank you Chris, I just tried what you suggested.
The markers didn't show up dynamically in Premiere or vice versa. I tried comp and sequence markers...
Maybe it requires saving/reloading - haven't tried that yet. But it seems that the solution that Rich suggested works perfectly.

Rich, I think your're right. Tero already mentioned that it's resolution dependent, so I just manually created a 5k sequence to test it and then the 1/8 and 1/16 options were available. I still don't understand why these are not supported in 1080p.

Checking "preserve resolution when nested" as you just suggested is the perfect solution. This knowledge would have saved me already a huge amount of time in the past.
I just gave it a try and immediately got the same 0.5 FPS in Premiere that I also had in AE!
Also there was no need to put the main comp in a smaller comp... just changing the preview resolution in my main comp worked exactly as needed. This is a HUGE time saver!

Thanks to all of you for helping to solve this problem ! : )

ATTENTION:
Setting this up so that it works properly is really tricky.
So if you need faster preview speeds in Premiere for your Direct Link AE compositions you need to do the following in EXACTLY this order. Otherwise the preview will just be a small "thumbnail" in the top left of your preview window.

- it's all about the settings of your preview resolution at the bottom of your Composition window in AE. Change it from Full to something that gives you a usable speed. If "quarter" is still to slow, use custom and try 8x8, 12x12 or 16x16... anyhing belwo that will be barely recognizable. save your AE project

- import the AE comp in Premiere and place it on the timeline. you will notice that premiere will display your AE composition in Full resolution and not in the one that you just chose inside of AE - this is OK!

- go back to you AE project... in case you have closed it already just rightclick on it in the timeline of Premiere and choose "edit original"... this will open AE and the composition.

- now back in AE, rightclick on the name of the composition tab in your timeline > choose "composition settings" and make the Advanced Tab active.
put a checkmark at "preserve resolution when nested" and hit ok.
Save your project. You also can close AE now if you don't need to keep it open for editing.

- depending on the complexity of your comp it might take some time until the update can be seen in premiere and the preview speed should be much better now. (of course the resolution is low)

- once you are done with all your edits in Premiere and you are ready to render your Premiere Project, you HAVE TO reopen your AE comp > remove the check from "preserve resolution when nested" and SAVE! Otherwise your render will be messed up by small versions of the AE comps.

Again... all this has to be done in exactly this order.
Do not save your AE file with "preserve resolution when nested" turned on, before you import the comp in Premiere.
If you do so by accident, you just need to delete the AE comp completely from your Project - timeline AND Project browser and reimport it after you made the appropriate changes.

Good luck and fast previewing!

EDIT:
just came back to this post after two months to look up the procedure.... followed every step exactly as described and still got the problem with the stamp sized preview in the top left corner!
Finally could fix it by setting Playback and Paused resolution in Premiere to anything else but Full!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]