ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere and the GPU game

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon HisemanPremiere and the GPU game
by on Dec 15, 2015 at 9:31:54 pm

Mac Pro 5,1 / 2.66GHz / 64GB Ram / AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB

MacOS 10.8.x
PPro CC with a Nvidia GTX 580 flashed up by MacVId Cards for CUDA
Brilliant system - no problems - few crashes, working long hours

cc 2014 still with MacOS10.8 - more crashes, suspicions that the CUDA was misbehaving particularly on renders but useable.
Then, wanted a set of Transitions only available on MacOS 10.10 so upgraded the OS and installed the new version of PPro in early 2015.
CUDA completely broken(well documented everywhere) so purchased a AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB for Open CL acceleration. Half as fast as CUDA and had odd crashes on rendering both the timeline and on export that we could never tie to a cause. Solved the problem by closing PPro and restarting the computer before exporting.
Having installed a great app called Memory Monitor, we discovered that the PPro cache would take anything up to 120 seconds to clear down after we closed PPro. Maybe this explained why if PPro crashed and we restarted immediately, the app was not stable and would crash on the next render. We just got into the habit of rebooting the computer.

Finding ourselves in-between projects, we just upgraded to the latest vs of CC 2015, living in hope.
With Open CL selected, the export always crashes down PPro(serious error etc..) Tried on 3 separate projects, 10 times in all. Renders the audio first - then down she goes.
Turn off GPU acceleration and PPro exports fine - 24 mins for a 3.30min ProRes 422 time line with not much happening.
So what is going on with this GPU guff? Could Adobe please tell us which versions of which computers with which OS’s and cards they tested this gear on and were satisfied that it worked flawlessly all the time, every time. Or perhaps they know that is not achievable. Someone please put me out of my misery - where do I send the bill for the heart surgery?

I used to be Jon Hiseman but I'm feeling better now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]