ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michi Karnerworking with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:16:19 pm

Hi,

my question might be redundant, I did try figuring my problem out by reading old posts, but couldn't.

I am working on a documentary film about a researchproject.

• We filmed with 2 cameras by mistake I ended up with different frames rates (48kHz, 25fps and , 44kHz, 30fps) I realised this 3 weeks ago
  • The film is supposed to be shown at university, put on a dvd, on youtube and possibly a small local tv channel (I'm in Europe)
  • All the Interviews are filmed in 25fps, I do need some of the audio from the other camera as well

So far I have been working in a 25fps sequence which resulted in judder. I think I need to proceed with a 25fps sequence because of the audio from the interviews. Also I read it is simpler to go from 30 to 25.

I read I could use After Effects to reinterpret each of the 30fps clips as 25 fps, use time warp set to pixel motion and speed the clip up to be the same lenght as my original clip (which I tried and did not suceed so far). I have not worked with After Effects before and I am afraid it will take forever and result in a massive amount of data.

So my questions: is there a good alternative, possibly in Premiere, that would give me neither judder, nor take forever? Can I reinterpet each 30fps clip and use nested sequences to give them the duration they had before?

This is the first proper project that I'm doing by myself and I'm not sure what the most sensible way to move forward is. I'm really gratefull for any input.

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:06:34 am

Welcome to the forum, Michi. Premiere Pro does not have any functionality equivalent to frame blending with pixel motion. When inserting 30fps footage into a 25fps sequence your options are limited to dropping frames or slowing the speed. Enabling frame blending will display adjacent frames simultaneously to smooth the motion and reduce judder.

Return to posts index

Michi KarnerRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 15, 2015 at 3:10:55 pm

Thanks Myles for the quick answer. I'm afraid frame blending in premiere is not enough. So After Effects it is.

Can anyone tell me how the ideal workflow for this would look? Do I open each 30fps clips individually in AE, change them with timewarp, export them and replace the file in premiere? Is there some way to automat this or should I do it with replace with Ae composition?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Alan StephensRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 15, 2015 at 4:19:55 pm

I would try exporting the sequences or footage into media encoder and change them into the frame rate you want to work with. I had a 25fps sequence with a 30fps graphic with alpha channel and got jitter from the graphic. By converting the graphic movie to the same frame rate as the sequence solved the jitter.
Start with a very short clip to test and try it out.

Alan Stephens

Mac Book Pro 2.6, quad i7, 8 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Thunderbolt Promise raid drive

Return to posts index

Bret HamptonRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 12:13:56 am

I agree with Alan. However if only one source is 30fps, I would export from Media Encoder at 25fps and then import into your 25fps project. You can then edit the project at 25 and export whatever you wish at the end.

If you see a time difference then you can try changing the speed of the clip. The difference between 30 fps (really 29.97) is 4.1% faster. It's possible the speed difference will be small, so you could also try changing speed by .1%. The pitch will change at the larger number but you can use a Premiere filter to adjust or else pitch correct in Audition.

Return to posts index

Michi KarnerRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 10:48:03 am

Thank you so much to both of you.
I tried it and so far it seems to fix the problem. It is even the same lenght as the original clip and so much less time consuming than the after effects solution.

Return to posts index

Bret HamptonRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 5:24:30 pm

That's great it worked out. In the past we had to use expensive convertor boxes so it's fantastic we can do it with software and a little knowledge

Return to posts index

Haroun HajemRe: working with different frame rates (25fps and 30fps)
by on Apr 20, 2016 at 2:46:01 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]