ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

naming bins, pressing ENTER

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfredo Rodrigueznaming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 7:40:03 pm

I'm on premiere pro CC 2014. When I create a new bin, I give it a name and then press Enter. This creates the bin with the name but then the next asset below the new bin becomes selected and prompts me to rename, which is not what I want. Am I not supposed to press Enter? I just want to create the bin, name it, and be done.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: naming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 8:50:58 pm

The fact is, after renaming a bin there is no "certain" or definable next step for all editors, so Adobe engineers allowed the cursor to default to the next user definable field.

So, where would you like the cursor to go after you name/rename the bin? Rather than simply pointing out problems and pitfalls, make it constructive criticism by giving the developers a logical alternative.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Alfredo RodriguezRe: naming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 9:16:39 pm
Last Edited By Alfredo Rodriguez on Dec 13, 2015 at 10:17:49 pm

no criticism here, Dave. just asking for help with the functionality of Premiere Pro.

Using an analogy: when i create a new folder on my desktop, my computer prompts me for a name. After I give a name and press Enter, the folder is created and I'm done. It would be strange if my computer then created a second new folder, which I did not request. However, that's what seems to be happening here. In Premiere Pro, after I create a new bin and give it a name, it then highlights the next asset and prompts me to rename it. I only want a new bin--nothing more. Why would the software be coded such that creating a new bin implies that I also want to rename my other assets? It's an unexpected behavior.

If there is a workaround, would like to learn about it. Sometimes a combination of keys can be pressed to bypass these things. If you or anyone reading my post is aware of any, please..

Return to posts index

Matt GaluszewskiRe: naming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 11:45:02 pm

For what it's worth... Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 here on a Mac.

I have never noticed this behaviour but then I have always been pressing ENTER on the numeric keypad portion of the keyboard and not the RETURN key.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:32:02 am

thanks, Matt. No difference if I press Enter on the keyboard vs the numeric pad, or if I do this on CC 2014 or 2015...just tried it and still does it.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: naming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:05:05 am
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:11:54 am

As I said, since there is no perfect next step for all users after adding a bin, Adobe defaults to moving the cursor to the next user definable field. That's most likely the default for all metadata fields that have no intuitive or absolute next step. If you send this in as a feature request, and tell them what you'd prefer, the developers will consider it. Just do keep in mind, you have to give the developers an alternative, because when writing code they need to define an action when return is hit, they can't just write code that does nothing. So, if you think return should create another new bin, suggest that... But, unless you suggest an action, your message just sounds like a complaint to the guys who fix these things.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: naming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 4:20:41 pm

I think I remember reading about this...

which is when ppl are loggin shots...they were getting annoyed at having to click to manually enable each item to edit...

so the behavior was changed so that this behaves much more like a "spread sheet"

I can see how you question arises...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:27:52 pm

Yes, Alex. It seems to be perpetually stuck on "rename everything" mode whenever I want to rename ONE asset. This is perfect if I want to go down a long list of assets and rename one after the other. That's probably why Adobe Prelude was created, so that logging and ingesting assets (video, audio, graphics, stills, etc) is it's own task, and not mixed in with editing.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:15:25 pm
Last Edited By Alfredo Rodriguez on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:18:14 pm

So the short version of your reply would be that there aren't any workarounds that you are aware of. That's how Premiere Pro works. thank you, David.

Return to posts index

Brian TarioRe: naming bins, pressing ENTER
by on Dec 16, 2015 at 1:39:36 am

Pressing Return does indeed move you to the next item in your Project panel, so you can quickly rename multiple items without using the mouse. Alternatively, pressing Enter (on the numeric keypad) ends the naming process. So all you need to do is use Enter instead of Return.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]