ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

One more question about monitoring

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron CraigOne more question about monitoring
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:32:07 am
Last Edited By Ron Craig on Dec 10, 2015 at 3:37:24 am

Shane Ross was kind enough to provide me with reliable information about devices (AJA & BM) that will allow me to monitor in my 4K edit from a 2013 Mac Pro. Following up on that, I'm wondering if most editors actually use one of those boxes for monitoring. I assume that most people doing professional color grading would require one. But Apple suggests a number of options for monitoring directly out of the Mac Pro and also recommends some particular 4K monitors.

So here's my question: Are there any professional video editors out there who are successfully monitoring directly from the 2013 Mac Pro Thunderbolt 2 and/or HDMI outs? For those of you who are doing that, do you consider the image you're getting to be "true," and is it satisfactory to/approved by your clients? Are you able to calibrate the monitor(s) to your satisfaction?

If I can spend my money on good monitors and not need an AJA or BM box, I'd like to do that. But if that's a bad idea, I'd like to hear that. And I'd listen.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: One more question about monitoring
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:02:14 pm

I don't do this, but as an FYI, the signal being sent via Thunderbolt and HDMI is a COMPUTER video signal, not a BROADCAST type video signal. What you'll get if you connect to your external monitor is a spanned desktop. Now, you can make this full screen, but it won't be accurate as the broadcast signal would be. How reliable is this? Dunno..I'll leave that to others to answer. I just needed to mention that the signal is different.

If you monitor interlaced footage this way, it won't show both fields. It'll half the resolution and only show one field.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron CraigRe: One more question about monitoring
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:08:25 pm

Darn you, Shane. Always popping up with inconvenient FACTS.

Yes, that was pretty much my guessing analysis. Looks like AJA is going to get more of my money. Hey, at least the money is going to a company that deserves it, for all the good products and great customer service they offer.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]