ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Thunderbolt to 4K monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron CraigThunderbolt to 4K monitor
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:25:01 am

Hi. I did a fair amount of searching before posting but I haven't found exactly what I need:

I'm finally moving up to a Mac Pro 2013, mainly to expand to 4k editing. I want a device such as the AJA and Blackmagic boxes that I have used in the past to allow me to monitor properly. The AJA Io4K is certainly a nice device for doing that, delivering a 4k video signal on HDMI and also analog audio. But it does a lot more than I don't need it to do -- namely capture -- and so the price is higher than I want to spend for this task.

What devices do you folks have, and like, for professional level monitoring out of the Mac Pro 2013? Hopefully video and audio together but not necessarily. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Thunderbolt to 4K monitor
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:43:48 am

Sorry, but for 4K monitoring, your options are very slim. And they will be IO boxes that have options that you do not need. There is no small device like the AJA T-TAP (which tops out at 2K) for monitoring 4K. The Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor tops out at 1080. So the minimum you are looking at is the Decklink Ultrastudio 4K. Not the extreme...but the model just before it:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiothunderbolt

$995.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron CraigRe: Thunderbolt to 4K monitor
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:07:14 am

You're certainly right that boxes that deliver 4k video for monitoring all seem to do other things, as well.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Shane. I've looked at the Ultrastudio 4K and, yes, it does deliver the functionality I need (plus some) and it's at a price I can afford. I've been put off, though, by reviews with multiple exclamation points describing how noisy that box is. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to that complaint since I'm looking forward so much to the silence of the Mac Pro 2013, which replaces my my very noisy Mac Pro tower (in which I had installed additional fans).

I'll keep the Ultrastudio 4K as a possibility, though, for the reasons you gave. But I hold out a small, lingering hope that I might find an alternative. (Of course, you'd probably know if there was one. Drat.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]