ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Multichannel Audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack BonnettMultichannel Audio
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 1:40:06 pm

Hi, I know in many ways this has been covered around the web before but I'm having a bit of trouble getting me head around it in Premiere.

I'm using both CS6 on a legacy system and CC on the recent one and at the moment my issue is with CS6 but an explanation for CC would be helpful too!!

We edit a lot of news type packages that often get reedited into round up and recap shows at a later date. This means that although when we compile the clips we keep the IV audio we need to strip out any music etc added to them in post. To do this in the past we tend to have IV on track one and two, SFX on 3,4 and music 5,6 (for example).

When we used FCP we'd do the edit, then go into the timeline preferences patch the audio tracks to the desired output tracks listen to the mixdown through the stereo monitors and play out a quicktime file with the six channels of audio that we required.

For the life of me I can't grasp how this works in Premiere.

I've put the edit together in a sequence that I have made a preset for as a multichannel audio sequence with 6 standard channels and completed the edit. In the Audio Mixer I have set Audio 1 and Audio 2 to 1+2, Audio 3 and 4 to 3 + 4 and Audio 5 and Audio 6 to 5 + 6. I have six audio monitor bars that represent each of the channels all moving at the appropriate times.

However I can only hear what's on Audio 1 and Audio 2 unless I specifically click the monitor audio under 3 + 4 or 5 + 6. Is there a way to monitor the mixdown?

Also then on play out I select Quicktime ProRes, Uncompressed audio with 6 channels and export. The exported quicktime file only seems to recognise that there is one audio channel there, and I can only hear the sound from Audio 1 and 2. The rest of it is mute. However reimporting the file into Premiere it shows up with the 6 audio tracks and all the sound which plays and monitors fine.

I can but assume that I've done something wrong at a fundamental setup level but I'm not sure what it is. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is something that everyone feels that they've been over again and again!!

Return to posts index

Larry AsbellRe: Multichannel Audio
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 4:26:42 pm

Your correct, there is one last step. At the bottom of the Audio Meters window, there are stereo speaker icons. Turn them on for each pair of tracks that you want to monitor. If it's not happening, right click on the meters and confirm that Monitor Stereo Pairs is selected.

Return to posts index

Larry AsbellRe: Multichannel Audio
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 4:47:03 pm

Actually there's another way that you may like better. In the track panel of the timeline right-click and add an Audio Submix Track. Then in the Audio Track Mixer panel near the top, where each track says Master, re-route each track to the new submix 1 track. Leave the submix track routed to master. Voila.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]