ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

cMP 4K Work Flow - Tweak advice wanted

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard MilescMP 4K Work Flow - Tweak advice wanted
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:00:02 am

Greetings Everyone...

I am setting up a new 4K workflow for a client, a producer who likes to shoot in 4K and edit in 1080P, with final delivery being 1080P and web conversions. He loves to shoot in 4K because of the flexibility the 4K footage gives him as far as resizing footage during the edit without compromise to the 1080P master.

So, I have been making upgrades to my 2010 Mac Pro. The goal of the tweaks is to optimize the edit experience as far as responsiveness of the timeline playback including # of streams possible at one time, responsiveness of the source program bins while scrubbing source clips to be added to the edit, and responsiveness of any renders which might be needed on higher complexity composite builds in the edit time line.

Here is my rig...

Mac Pro 2010
12 Core 3.46GHZ
500GB Crucial SSD (OS and Apps)
64GB Ram

GTX 980 Ti GPU

DP Ports 1/2 - 2x Dell u2711 Monitors @ 2456x1440
(Editing Desktop)

DP Port 3 - ViewSonic VP2780 @ 1080P
(timeline program and bin source monitoring) ( footage grading )

HDMI Port - Dell 2408 Monitor and Sony SXRD 1080P Projector
( HDMI hosted thru a Yamaha 3010 Receiver driving the edit stage surround and projection.)

ATTO R680
(8 drive RAID Controller)

Areca ARC-4038 8 Bay SAS Expander
(future proofing for a switch to 12G SAS down the road as well as RAID storage expansion)

8x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSDs (set up RAID0)

Sonnet Tempo Duo
(2x USB 3.0 5g ports & 2x eSATA 6g ports)
(USB 3.0 used for faster importing from client USB 3.0 HDDs used for camera footage)
(eSATA used for some legacy Sonnet D500P drive bays if needed)

Mobius USB 3.0 5G/eSATA 6G trayless 2 drive bay
(used for backing up SSD RAID as well as other system data management chores)

2x WD Green 5TB external HDDs
(for project master/back up archiving) (additional external HHD storage added as needed)

2x Sonnet D500P 3G 5 bay enclosures
(legacy hardware from an older set up)

There were cheaper primary RAID enclosure solutions than the 4038, but I was interested in expandability should this client work really take off or experience greater storage demands. I also wanted to future proof this investment for 12G SAS. I also thought about running the Areca 1883x, but decided to keep the R680 for now, since the 1883x would only run in PCIe 2.0 mode on the 2010 Mac Pro.

A typical project ends up being around 1-2 TBs of source material. The master Premiere Pro edit file resides on the OS/APP SSD, but all other source and scratch directories are assigned to the SSD RAID. The entire project is backed up on external WD Green 5TB Master & Back Up HHDs. Once a project is finished and backed up, it is removed from the SSD RAID until a future edit session is required.

The 8 1TB SSDs is probably over kill as far as the data rates achievable with the 6g SAS R680. But the extra SSD space does allow for some 25-30% over provisioning of the RAID to help extend life and level out performance of the SSDs. The extra space also allows for the possibility of setting up multiple SSD RAIDs to server different scratch cache duties. This is where I'd be interested in some feedback as far as maximizing the edit experience for the client.

Sorry if the post is too long, but I hope I provided enough info for someone to understand the setup.

Please let me know what I have over looked or if there are any specific tweaks I should consider making to this set up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]