ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Do Different Sequence editing modes really Matter?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich KaelinDo Different Sequence editing modes really Matter?
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 3:24:50 am

So, We recorded some footage at the camera and via SDI out onto a NanoFlash unit. The NanoFlash should be an XDCAM codec, but with 422 color at 50 Mbit, verses the camera which is XDCAM EX 420 @ 35 Mbit.

If I take a clip from each and drop them into the New sequence area below, which should crate a sequence with the most appropriate settings for the footage, the camera XDCAM EX @ 35Mb footage yields a sequence set to editing mode set to AVCHD 1080p square pixel. The NanoFlash XDCAM EX @ 50Mb footage yields a sequence set to editing mode set to AVCiIntra 100 1080p 60Hz.

Neither of these match any of the XDCAM settings I would have defaulted to, but does that matter? At the end I will just have to export the sequence to a different format, like prores or MP4. Would it ever really matter. This has me a bit confused. Is there a good explanation available of how these presets work and how choosing one could positively or negatively impact work flow anywhere?

On a side note, all of the time code on the NanoFlash seems to be about 6.5 seconds late compared to the camera...once I find a visible match, the camera has a TC of 1:00:00:00, the nano will record a TC of 1:00:06:14 for the same frame. Time code is embedded in the SDI, used to trigger nano recording. any guesses why this happens? Just curious.

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Do Different Sequence editing modes really Matter?
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:22:53 am
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:27:11 am

AVCHD is 420 and AVC-Intra is 422, which aligns with your camera codecs. AVC-Intra is the better choice between the two. I believe 'Editing Mode' is just a preset, though; adjust the settings as required. (Is your footage 60fps or 30fps?)

Return to posts index

Rich KaelinRe: Do Different Sequence editing modes really Matter?
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 3:11:02 pm

30p, just for a web project.

I usually shoot 60i for broadcast. My real question is, will it effect my export? If I am in AVCHD, 420, but I export to a ProRes file for final preoject, do I lose that color space (Assuming the footage was shot 422, and it was there to start)? Or does premiere, AME work with the original material. And graphics, will they be reduced to 420. If so it would make sense to always edit in a 422 timeline. Also, What about all of the Higher XDCAM HD 422 codecs. That is wat the footage was shot in, so why does premiere choose AVC codecs?
Thanks,
Rich

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Do Different Sequence editing modes really Matter?
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 10:14:05 pm

Internally Premiere Pro decompresses the footage and processes effects at up to 32-bits. 'Editing Mode' is the name given to a preset that corresponds to a collection of sequence settings. It will only affect your output if the corresponding settings are inappropriate for the project. What are the differences in parameters shown in the Sequence Settings for the two presets?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]