ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro Frame Hold glitch

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie EastonPremiere Pro Frame Hold glitch
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 2:03:06 am

Hello all,

I've been running into some trouble with the Frame Hold function in Premiere Pro. I'm using CS5.5.

Basically I'm doing a side by side comparison of two items on fire and how long each burns for. The two items were filmed separately (and vertically) so I have put them side by side in the video frame. One item burned out much more quickly than the other, so that video is about 20 seconds shorter than the other.

What I'd like to do is freeze the last frame of the shorter video so that it remains on screen while the other item takes its time burning out.

I have been trying to cut the last frame or last few frames from the end of the short video and place a frame hold there, then stretch it out (by changing speed/duration of the held clip) to last as long as the other clip. This works, EXCEPT there is always a weird little glitch at the cut point just before the frame held clip, as though the video has just shifted half a millimetre or something. It's small, but enough to look like I've modified the footage somehow which is not what we want in a comparison video.

Now, if I try to do the frame hold thing on a single video that encompasses the entire frame, it works perfectly and smoothly. I can freeze on any point within the video, I can freeze and drag out the last frame, etc etc. No problem at all.

But when I have two videos in the same frame it does that weird glitchy thing at the cut.

I realize this might not make any sense at all but thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone has any idea what's going on or has experienced a similar thing.

Any advice welcomed. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Premiere Pro Frame Hold glitch
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 2:28:48 am

Melanie,

If you were a software engineer at Adobe, or if you were going to use the composite you've created as a template for every show you were going to edit, figuring out why this happening might be important. However, if you're just trying to make this work, so you can move on to other aspects of storytelling, just export a still of the "freeze frame," and cut that in where you need it, then move on. Does that make sense?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Melanie EastonRe: Premiere Pro Frame Hold glitch
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 3:50:52 am

Thanks David. It makes sense, I've just given it a go but unfortunately it's doing the exact same thing as the frame hold - there's a tiny glitch right at the cut point between the video and the still, as if the still had been just slightly jolted half a millimetre to the right. I've got 5 layers of clips in total (2 vertical videos side by side, a white background and two still images laid over top as labels) and everything else is staying put - it's just the one video I try to freeze (or add a still image to) that glitches.

I've tried this with different videos and different projects and it keeps doing the same thing. One video on its own will frame hold (or transition to a still image) perfectly fine, but more than one video at once in the same frame and the glitch is back. Urgh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]