ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Canopus DV Raptor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenn SchulzCanopus DV Raptor
by on Nov 28, 2015 at 3:22:59 pm
Last Edited By Kenn Schulz on Nov 28, 2015 at 3:23:26 pm

I know that this edit system is around 15 years old, but does anyone still use DV Raptor? Just had a question about re-installing the application. I have original install disc (v1.1). Would I have to re-install Soft Explode effects and drivers also? NOTE: this is NOT my system.., it is for a friend of mine who refuses to upgrade his system IMHO. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Canopus DV Raptor
by on Nov 28, 2015 at 10:25:10 pm

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while...

Most computer systems manufactured within the last 10 years will actually handle DV far faster in software than using a card...and the Raptor wasn't even a powerful card in terms of 15 years ago...

Getting the modern version of Edius would allow use of any Canopus DV files that you have...or I suspect the software codec is still floating around the interweb someplace.

I find it highly unlikely that there are drivers that would install in any modern OS for that card...you'd probably need to install to a 32 bit XP machine at the latest.

(I got rid of my DV Rex a loooong time ago...and I have a Storm card somewhere in mothballs that I haven't used in eons but I just can't bring myself to toss that kind of stuff.)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Canopus DV Raptor
by on Nov 28, 2015 at 11:53:36 pm
Last Edited By Steve Brame on Nov 28, 2015 at 11:53:59 pm

We still get Canopus files every now and then, and the codec is still available, easily searched.

[Tim Kolb] "but I just can't bring myself to toss that kind of stuff."

You sound like my wife/boss. We have a huge pro BetaSP deck that she wouldn't let me unload for years. Now it's a boat anchor. The shipping would far exceed any $$$ I could make from it.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Canopus DV Raptor
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 1:12:54 pm

I didn't say I couldn't bring myself to sell things...I've done that.

When the industry has moved on and the stuff isn't even worth anything to sell, I have a hard time throwing it out.

Canopus DV cards (or any DV cards) have been redundant for a decade...so they really aren't worth anything to anyone not running a 15 year old computer (and editing mediocre quality standard definition).

I suppose it's nostalgia. In the back of my mind I keep thinking a museum curator will be calling me up one day, and they'll ask me for some of my old stuff for a diorama with life-sized cavemen trying to green screen some 4:1:1 footage...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Kenn SchulzRe: Canopus DV Raptor
by on Dec 1, 2015 at 2:43:57 pm

Well, my "colleague" is reluctant to upgrade or learn newer technologies. The problem with XP and Raptor is the fact that when trying to output an MPEG-2 file, the PC locks up totally. Same happens with other video applications. Maybe he's missing a certain CODEC, .inf file, or .dll file. - I dunno. he is not in the Internet so he cannot get fixes from way back when.

Return to posts index

Kenn SchulzRe: Canopus DV Raptor
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:12:23 pm

How do I locate the installed video CODEC's in WinXP?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]