ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew HoeckerMercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55:47 am
Last Edited By Matthew Hoecker on Nov 26, 2015 at 3:11:26 am

So I haven't really seen much of this sifting through the forums. I have a GTX670 on a Windows 7 system, and a lot of the time I can boot right into Premiere, have my Mercury Playback hardware acceleration and things work no problem. However, sometimes I boot up Premiere and I get the dreaded "This project last used Mercury Playback Hardware Acceleration which is no longer available..." message. Project settings has Mercury Software selected, and greyed out (so saying software playback is selected and you can't change it.)

I wrote a script to restart the GPU (disable, re-enable the driver) and no luck. Restarting the computer usually works, but not always.

When I start Premiere and I'm having this issue, I do notice that it starts multiple (usually about 4) instances of GPUSniffer.exe. I need to check and see if this is normal behavior when it's working correctly.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling latest display drivers. Going back to older drivers. Using a cleaning tool to completely clean out old display drivers and reinstalling. Uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere, used a cleaning tool and reinstalled Premiere again.

CC2014 never had an issue that I can recall. Anything that anyone can suggest? Anyone else have this problem? Maybe just a flaw in my GPU (It's not old, but it's not brand new either).

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this muddled situation.

Return to posts index

Matthew HoeckerRe: Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Nov 26, 2015 at 3:09:47 am

Coincidence? I don't know why what I tried worked, so it may just be, but here goes.

I right clicked GPUSniffer.exe and in the compatibility tab I checked "Run as administrator." I tried to run Premiere, and Premiere didn't like it. I think that GPUSniffer.exe was trying to popup the window to ask for administrator permission to run, but Premiere was expecting it to just run and report back. So Premiere gives me a "No video device found" and then Windows froze out Premiere and I got the "Premiere has encountered and error and needs to close: End Task" box. So I ended Premiere.

I went back, ran GPUSniffer.exe directly for poops and giggles. Sure enough, screen greyed out and asked for me to click "Yes" so it could run with admin privileges. I click yes, it runs and the box goes away, like normal. So I go back into compatibility, uncheck "Run as Admin" and click ok.

Again, just to see what, if anything, I had done, I start up Premiere. It starts right up. One instance of GPUSniffer instead of 4. Open my project and Mercury Hardware is up and running again.

Sooo, I'll have to try this again next time I get this error (it's intermittent and random) to see if it's a consistent fix, or dumb luck and coincidence, but in case anyone else encounters this error, it's something to try.

Return to posts index

mark thompsonRe: Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Nov 27, 2015 at 1:58:57 pm

Hi,
I found the exact same problem, I reported it here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/971432.

Someone suggested updating the NVidia driver, someone else suggest reverting to an older one.
I never did find a solution, however it seems to have sorted itself out, on my system at least I seem to have the Engine there most of the time.

Even when Premiere could not find CUDA I found that Photoshop and Audition could find it. It is most odd.

Return to posts index

Iain CampbellRe: Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Mar 21, 2016 at 2:15:26 pm

What a quirky fix, but marginally quicker than a restart.

This has been an issue for me with 2 different GPUs, thanks for posting your results here. Will save me time!

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Mar 21, 2016 at 9:53:26 pm

Just curious...are any of you on Quadro cards, or are all these GTX cards?

(Not that it should make any difference...just a point of curiosity.)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Iain CampbellRe: Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Mar 22, 2016 at 6:16:56 am

Both GTX for me - 470 and now 980ti.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Mercury Engine Hardware Accelleration sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. CC2015.1 GTX670
by on Mar 22, 2016 at 12:19:19 pm

Not the same problem but another example of Premiere Pro working perfectly and then changing things. For the past few days it has messed with my Audio Hardware settings, and each time I've had to do a different fix to get it working. I blame Gremlins.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]