ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Relinking Media, now picture is out of sync with Grey danger stripes

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aemilia scottRelinking Media, now picture is out of sync with Grey danger stripes
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 7:35:57 am

Oh man, this is a pickle.

I've been working offline with offline clips, and now I'm ready to relink to some ProRes 4444 files (cropped with handles) from my colorist. Upon trying to offline these clips and relink them, many are showing up totally out of sync. In the project window I'm looking at timecode for my offlines, and timecode for the cropped colorist clips, and it's all there. The timeline of the cropped clips sits nicely inside of the larger dailies I've been using. It seems like they should sync just fine according to timecode. However in the timeline, the first instance of the clip is all danger bar, and the second instance of the clip is danger bar for a small fraction, and where the picture pops in is not the actual beginning of the clip as I can see it if I open it by itself.

I'm working against a deadline now and I really need to get a render made. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong here? Any help would be a huge life-saver.

Aemilia

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Relinking Media, now picture is out of sync with Grey danger stripes
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 9:18:39 am

Do the framerates and length match? The stripes mean that the files are different length than they were. This can happen if you relink interpreted media without using the "preserve interpret footage settings" checkbox in the link media settings.

Return to posts index

aemilia scottRe: Relinking Media, now picture is out of sync with Grey danger stripes
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 6:36:59 pm

The files have the same framerate. However, as I said they have different lengths because these are shortened files with handles from colorist. in both files I can see the timecode present, so my sense is that they should have synced properly based on that.

The film opens with two instances of the same clip at different moments of the action, so I've been playing with that. premiere seems to believe that the reconnected clip doesn't have footage in the same spot -- that is, the danger bars end and the footage "begins" in the same place for both. in the first instance, the footage is entirely bars, and the second instance the footage is 1/4 bars and then picture. so it would seem it's using *some* logic to sync, just not the correct logic.

I've included the properties below of the two files. first, is the proxy, and second is the colored MXF.

File Path: /Volumes/[...]/CAM A/A002_C006_07103A.mov
Type: QuickTime Movie
File Size: 761.80 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 23.976
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 24 bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:00:35:10
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

QuickTime Details:
Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s), 0 closed caption track(s), and 1 timecode track(s).

Video:
There are 850 frames with a duration of 1001/24000ths.

Video track 1:
Duration is 0:00:35:10
Average frame rate is 23.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
Frame Size = 1920 x 1080
Compressor = Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Quality = Most (5.00)

Audio:
Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
Format = 24 bit - Stereo
Rate = 48000 Hz
Compressor = 24-bit Integer

Timecode:
Timecode track 1 contains 1 type(s) of data:

Timecode data block #1:
Start Time = 00:00:00:00
Reel name = A002_C006_07103A

---------------------------

File Path: /consideratione////Volumes/Lacie Underalls/FOR A GOOD TIME - Offline/FAGT_from_CO3_20141016/DNX-HD-350/A002_C006_07103A.mxf
Type: MXF
File Size: 445.17 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 23.976
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:00:10:11
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 (1.0)

MXF File details:
Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal)
File generated by: Adobe Systems Incorporated, Adobe Media Encoder (9.0.0)
Compression ID: DNxHD 1080p 440 10-bit
Effective Video Bitrate: 352 Mbps

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Relinking Media, now picture is out of sync with Grey danger stripes
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 1:03:37 pm

Unfortunately, no...

relinking to a media set with different media durations will not simply match by the timecode...

you could import the second set and "replace" events on the timeline with your shortened events...

but don't relink you media set to the new media...

take a look at this:

http://www.retooled.net/?p=253

hope this sheds some light...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Relinking Media, now picture is out of sync with Grey danger stripes
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 4:17:26 pm

Yes, as Alex states, you can't hold in/out points when relinking to clips of a different length than the offline proxies.

While Premiere Pro reads timecode, in and out points seem to be saved as 'trims' in relationship to the original clip length....change the media length, slide the 'trim' points.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]