ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

How to create new CLIPS from a Sequence given to me by PluralEyes? Has to be a way.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew PlourdeHow to create new CLIPS from a Sequence given to me by PluralEyes? Has to be a way.
by on Nov 23, 2015 at 3:30:50 pm

I have been having a hellish time with my current project. Long story short, after a huge struggle with sound syncing PluralEyes was finally giving me Exported VIDEO files with my audio synced and added to my video (no video re-encoding, camera audio removed, external audio added) but for whatever reason it no longer works. Now Premiere refuses to read any new Exports.

Premiere will read the XML files PluralEyes can give me. But look, I have nearly 40+ clips to sync and don't want 40+ sequences. I have no idea how to work that way! How the heck do I deal with a sequence for each take of ONE scene? That's insane.

I have always worked with clips. Say Scene 01, takes 1-10, all in a BIN. I can stick these in the source monitor, take what I like and put into a SINGLE sequence. THAT is how I work. I don't know any other way.

So HOW can I take these sequences PluralEyes gives me and then create a CLIP out of it? Or part of it? I want to put all the takes for each scene BINS. A Bin for all of Scene 01's takes, etc. etc.

I have spent hours (days now) trying to find out how.

I have Adobe CC 2015 and am working on a PC.

I really need help here.

Return to posts index

Matt AndersonRe: How to create new CLIPS from a Sequence given to me by PluralEyes? Has to be a way.
by on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:00:14 pm

I would have bypassed using Pluraleyes and use the Premiere Pro 'Merge' function with your audio source timecodes to sync.

Have you attempted Merge clips to sync your video and audio?

Return to posts index

Matthew PlourdeRe: How to create new CLIPS from a Sequence given to me by PluralEyes? Has to be a way.
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:53:21 am

THAT function is the reason why I have gone to PluralEyes. I should have mentioned this but the Merge function is insanely frustrating. No matter how precise I get the sound sync (it's quite easy to get it perfect by hand) once you MERGE the clip and then place it in a bin, when you go back to that merged clip the sound on all the tracks has gone off. By as much as a full frame, though typically about half a frame. This will make later sound mixing a nightmare since each track is at a different level and the mixer will fade from one to another if a track gets too hot or too low.

This project has almost sent me into a nervouse breakdown. I have been on it for over a month and edited nothing. I quite simply cannot get my assets fully prepared.

PluralEyes SHOULD be the solution. But it's proven not to be.

Return to posts index

nat ivesRe: How to create new CLIPS from a Sequence given to me by PluralEyes? Has to be a way.
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 8:14:00 pm

Are you using the Premiere Pro/Plural Eyes extension? In my opinion, that's the only way to work effectively and efficiently with dual-system sound.

Make sure to have the most current extension installed. I'm pretty sure that Red Giant has a link....And I've found that you need to have PP CC 2014 installed for the extension to work, but maybe they've fixed this. (my workflow is for CC 2015, however)

Here's my workflow...

1. Archive sound and picture files from card to computer and/or external drive.
2. Import files into my PP project.
3. Sort, organize, rename files in PP - making sure to keep sound and picture files in separate bins.

Depending upon complexity of project, I often take time to set up separate bins for different scenes, sections, etc. I also clean up my files, deleting any extraneous or unnecessary clips (false starts, etc.).

4. Drag picture files - with scratch audio tracks - to a new sequence. Often, this means dragging a bin to the empty Timeline, which creates new Sequence. I rename this appropriately.
5. Drag corresponding sound files to the Sequence, laying them under the picture files and scratch audio.

At this point, I make sure to create and open a separate bin - "Sequences" - open in Project panel. I place my new Sequence(s) in this bin, just to keep it neat! Also, if this bin is open when you send sequences to PE, PE will send synced sequences back to this bin.

6. Send the Sequence to PE. Windows > Extensions > Plural Eyes.
7. Once PE proceses the files (akin to caching), go to the PE "Sync" menu and deselect "Allow PE to change clip order" and "Correct audio drift". (I usually stick with "Try Really Hard" and "Level Audio".)
8. Synchronize and Export back to PP. PE closes automatically.
9. From here, I'll create a "Merged Clips" bin. I then drag and drop selected bits from my synced sequence into this bin, renaming as I go. Other workflows would be to copy/paste bits from synced sequence into master sequence or slice-and-dice in synced sequence.

Seems way involved as I read back through it, but that's what we get for using HDSLRs!! There's no magic bullet/quick fix/easy way out. One of the biggest factors is file management. PE gets really hinky when you send it a big pile of unsorted, sometimes unrelated files. It's easier all around to send stuff in controlled batches ("Batches? - We don't need no steenking BATCHES!").

Nat Ives
Manager & Lab Instructor
Communication & Media Studies Production Center
University of Southern Maine
Portland, ME
ives@maine.edu
http://www.facebook.com/CMS.Production

Return to posts index

nat iveslink for updated PE connector extension
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 8:55:23 pm

http://www.redgiant.com/product-downloads/

Nat Ives