ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best Upsizing solution for Video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc NiborBest Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:23:54 am

I need to upsize some clips in order to fake some closeups of a person which were originally filmed as medium/hip.

What's the best approach in order to get the very best results? It doesn't need to be a free solution as long as the results are great.

Does anyone know if there exists a solution for video which uses the same technology as Photozoom Pro uses for it's stills? The results I have seen were mindblowing. But as much as I know it's only for stills.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:25:42 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:28:17 pm

Red Giant has a plugin called "Instant 4k". Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

https://www.redgiant.com/products/instant-4k/

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:12:50 am

You know what's interesting? I use Adobe Premiere to upscale SD to HD a lot of the time. I find it does as good of a job as AE does, and I used to do that. Just scale it up and export it out. So if you are USING Adobe Premiere...I think you already have it there...built in.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Yair BartalRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 11:23:55 am

Do you do the Upsizing just by inserting an SD clip into a HD sequence and then use the scale effect?

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 26, 2015 at 9:40:58 pm

Thanks for all the hints...

Plain upsizing doesn't do the job in this case. It was the first thing I tried.

Instant 4K looks like it might do the trick though. I will take a look at it!

Return to posts index

Spike SpiegelRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 27, 2015 at 4:15:12 am

red giant is what I would recommend as well

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 27, 2015 at 3:33:49 pm

AE has Detail Preserving Upscale build in.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Nov 27, 2015 at 7:24:36 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations.

After spending almost a full day trying countless approaches and checking several demos I finally found the in my opinion "best" solution which I'm going to share now.

As some of you stated the built in "resizing" in Premiere (Motion>Scale) does a pretty decent job.
After some side by side comparison there was no huge difference between Premiere and the Plugin/Standalone resizing solutions when comparing the RESIZING part alone.
But there are more parameters involved than just the resizing.

Soon I found out the the "magic" is in the Sharpening. All Softwares/Plugins do some "post processing" which is more or less just some kind of Sharpening. Some do it quite good while others give the result a very plain artificial look.

So I kept using the standard resizing of Premiere and started looking for the best Sharpening solution.
Again... the built in Unsharp Mask of Premiere is very good.
But the Boris Continuum Unsharp mask has a few more parameters and one of those finally helped me to achieve excellent results. It's the "Mix with original" Parameter.
The trick is to use quite high settings for the unsharp mask which normally would look unrealistic and blend it with the original footage by using this parameter.

I guess it also might work if you use the built in unsharp mask with high settings and blend it over a duplicate of the unprocessed footage. Maybe it's even better when using it with different blending modes. The BCC Unsharp mask worked straight out of the box though and gave much better results than all the dedicated resizing options I tried.

One last tip. Before the resizing make sure your footage is as "clean" as possible. I did some denoising first. If you got noisy source footage and apply the sharpening before it's cleaned up you might get real ugly results.
Just make sure to do the denoising FIRST. (check the order in the effects stack)

hope that helps someone.

Return to posts index

vasya shupaltseRe: Best Upsizing solution for Video
by on Dec 29, 2015 at 11:11:20 pm

First of all thank you for you experience and research. I am new in Premier and upscaling. Before this i was using Sony Vegas but faced with the problem: Youtube does not provide normal bitrate for 480p content, so all of dynamic footages are looking like a mix of squares and pixels. Some guys told me about trick with upscale to SD\HD to deceive Youtube servers and them will provide more quality for the same footage. That's why i am here and have got question.

[Marc Nibor] "The trick is to use quite high settings for the unsharp mask which normally would look unrealistic and blend it with the original footage by using this parameter. "

Does it mean that one track with footage i should use with Boris FX Unsharp Mask and on the second track there should be original footage? I can understand the meaning of word "blend" but can be wrong in the context of editing soft.

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Dec 30, 2015 at 9:42:03 pm.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]