ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

29 angles of multicam - how to go about editing?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Simpson29 angles of multicam - how to go about editing?
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 9:47:00 pm

I’ve done many multicam edits over the years, but I've arrived at a new challenge.

I shot a musical performance (to a prerecorded song) with three cameras and ended up with 29 different takes.

Obviously, playing back 29 streams of video is extremely impractical - that’s far too many shots to look at and make creative decisions on (never mind the technical issues that it would present).

My question is this, what strategies do you use for large multicam edits? What’s the most concurrent video streams you can realistically keep an eye on to make a creative edit with? And how do I make a cut from 29 angles when I clearly can’t look at them all at one time.

And just to clarify, I’m not looking for “how do I play back multiple streams of video?” That answer is simple: fast hard drives and an easy-on-the-processor codec. I’m looking for editing strategy.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: 29 angles of multicam - how to go about editing?
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 10:13:38 pm

Looks like you've got yourself in quite a pickle!

Come on, SOMEBODY has to have a sense of humor around here.

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: 29 angles of multicam - how to go about editing?
by on Nov 22, 2015 at 12:41:44 am

[Patrick Simpson] "And how do I make a cut from 29 angles when I clearly can’t look at them all at one time."

Well actually you can, the amount of angles is unlimited in CC

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Patrick SimpsonRe: 29 angles of multicam - how to go about editing?
by on Nov 22, 2015 at 1:07:18 am

You're right, you can technically look at them all at once, but it's simply too much visual information to try to make sense of all at once.

So far my plan is this: go through each angle one-by-one, cutting out the good material. Then, I'll compile all my select shots and try to make sense of it from there. I'm hoping that will narrow it down enough that the best shots for a given section will present themselves without drowning in too many options.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: 29 angles of multicam - how to go about editing?
by on Nov 22, 2015 at 4:32:54 am

I edited about 20 simultaneous camera angles using a process similar to what you mentioned: placed all the shots into one sequence, synchronized, then spliced out the undesired sections one clip at a time. Once the footage is reduced it is easier to compare shot-to-shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]