ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Opinion Request: Adobe Premier Pro vx After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave BabbOpinion Request: Adobe Premier Pro vx After Effects
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:00:58 pm
Last Edited By Dave Babb on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:01:20 pm

Good Afternoon All,

I have old film footage that has been digitized. I need to remove the graininess. I understand that neat Video has a plugin for APP. I also notice that After Effects has this functionality built in.

I have written a Old Film Scratch And Dust Repair Tool (stand alone .exe) that is nearing the end of the development cycle. To properly polish the algo's in the software, I need to be able to:

a)Import a film, denoise/degrain it, scale it to a specified size, and then export it as a bmp sequence for processing by my application.

b)After my software is done with it, then I need to bring all the images back in as a sequence, re-marry them to their original soundtrack, then render the finished product.

My Question: Should I be using APP, or After effects...or do I need both?

I ask this as APP lacks the denoising functioning without blurring, After Effects has better denoise/degrain functioning than APP, but my understanding is that AE is not well suited to marrying an image sequence to a soundtrack. This is APP's strength.

Suggestions will be appreciated, as will corrections to my understanding if I am off base.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Opinion Request: Adobe Premier Pro vx After Effects
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 4:23:16 pm

I think the key is that each tool has a function...

Noise reduction...really effective noise reduction...is a computationally intensive process. Generating noise to emulate film grain or removing it is typically not a real-time process. Premiere Pro is an editing system and editors need the material to react rather immediately and at full speed to understand their pacing and shot cadence.

So...intensive effects that need to render out are typically fine in AE, where you take the finished product and move it to PPro to sync it with sound and do anything that is editing-related.

It's why there is 2 applications and not one or the other.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]