ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Master Exports

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar GottiMaster Exports
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 6:17:41 pm

Hello,

I am a Mac user, and I was just wondering what the best codec for exporting Master exports was? Apple Pro Res or H.264 (.mov)?

How easy is it for PC users to use Apple Pro Res, as opposed to H.264 (.mov)?

After every project, I usually export a Clean Master with split-tracks. Is it also wise to export my Dirty master as a split-track too?

Just wondering what your workflows are :)

Thanks,
Oscar

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Master Exports
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:12:28 pm

ProRes 422 is a vastly superior codec, and it's a hi-performance codec optimized for easy playback even at high bitrates. H.264 is a processor intensive codec, and better suited for acquisition and web delivery, because of it's high compression rates.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Oscar GottiRe: Master Exports
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:17:52 pm
Last Edited By Oscar Gotti on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:18:31 pm

Thanks David,

But what is best for PC users? Pro Res or H.264 (.mov)? I am asking because we share a lot of our files via FTP for broadcasters to pick up should they choose to. And some might be PC based.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:33:32 pm

ProRes can be decoded (played back) on both Mac and Windows platforms equally well. Windows machines cannot encode to ProRes, but that has no bearing on mastering to ProRes, as it can be played and edited universally.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Master Exports
by on Nov 22, 2015 at 4:25:42 am

Consider DNxHD, AVC-Intra, or Cineform if encoding on a PC.

Return to posts index

Andy MeesRe: Master Exports
by on Nov 23, 2015 at 7:16:07 am

Hey Oscar

[Oscar Gotti] "I am asking because we share a lot of our files via FTP for broadcasters to pick up should they choose to."

Broadcasters are somewhat unlikely to accept an H264 master... they tend to have strict guidelines as to what they will or will not accept. You'd be much much better off with a ProRes master. Should you need to deliver in a different format then you can transcode to that from your ProRes master.

[Oscar Gotti] "After every project, I usually export a Clean Master with split-tracks. Is it also wise to export my Dirty master as a split-track too?"

You might want to consider instead exporting your dirty master with a stereo full mix on ch 1 and 2, plus an international stereo full mix on ch 3 & 4.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:14:49 am

Thanks Andy,

Is it okay to just have a stereo mix in cases where there is no VO or COMMS? I can't see the point in having channels 3 & 4 if they are going to be exactly the same as 1 & 2

Thanks,
Oscar

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2015 at 2:25:41 am

[Oscar Gotti] "Is it okay to just have a stereo mix in cases where there is no VO or COMMS?"

Hey Oscar

Yes, absolutely. No point in keeping duplicate audio stems on your master.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2015 at 7:23:02 pm

Thank you,

One more question:

From your experience is it more common for 4 channel stereo/M&E mixes to be in 4 mono channels? Or 2 stereo pairs?

Thanks,
Mayto

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:48:12 am

Hey Andy!!! Long time no see my friend...

David

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2015 at 2:22:55 am

I know! I should update my profile picture... far older and more haggard these days :)

Return to posts index

Ben MarcheskiRe: Master Exports
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 4:22:06 pm

You can never have enough clean masters! As a safety, perhaps export your audio as separate .wav files as well! You can always combine audio/video as new codecs are released.

Ben Marcheski

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]