ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Match frame playback in source monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt AshMatch frame playback in source monitor
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 9:27:22 pm

Hey Guys,

Posting for my boss, who's a FCP7 editor finally dipping his toes in the world of Premiere. He's not happy, mainly because match frame isn't working the way it should. I'm not sure what he did, but when he match frames a clip in his timeline to his source monitor, the clip won't play in his source monitor. It will load in his source monitor, just not play.

What's weird is that on my version of Premiere with my settings, it works just fine. So I feel like he must have inadvertantly changed a really unique setting somewhere. One other thing, the clips in the timeline are multi cams and I believe they were merged clips (separate audio and video) before becoming multi cams.

He's on CC2015, probably the original update from back in July. I don't have access to his system so I can't give you the exact release number. Oh yeah, we're mac based and he's on OSX 10.10

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Match frame playback in source monitor
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 10:44:06 pm

[Curt Ash] "Posting for my boss, who's a FCP7 editor finally dipping his toes in the world of Premiere. He's not happy, mainly because match frame isn't working the way it should."

Sorry Curt, but you and your boss seem to have a misunderstanding of the Match frame command - in both FCP 7 and Premiere it is absolutely designed to match the current frame in your timeline with the same frame in the original source clip, and that of course shows in the source monitor.

How could you, or why would you, match to the frame in your program monitor if your cursor is already parked on that frame?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Curt AshRe: Match frame playback in source monitor
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 10:53:42 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I may have taken some liberty when I said it "wasn't working the way it should". When he attempts to match frame from the timeline, it does go to the exact frame in the program monitor and it loads that clip in the program monitor. The difference is if I match frame I can then play that clip in the program monitor on my computer, using my settings and he cannot play that clip in the program monitor on his computer using his settings.

Hopefully that's a better explanation? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Match frame playback in source monitor
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 11:25:58 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Nov 19, 2015 at 11:28:04 pm

[Curt Ash] "When he attempts to match frame from the timeline, it does go to the exact frame in the program monitor and it loads that clip in the program monitor."

That's the way it works by default.

[Curt Ash] "The difference is if I match frame I can then play that clip in the program monitor on my computer"

You probably have the "gang" function enabled. See Alex Udell's explanation below...

[Alex Udell] "PPro has "Gang" function in which the source viewer and sequence can be made to stay in sync. so that can keep you in sync. In your editing (program) timeline, the first icon can be toggled so that when you are editing from a source sequence (loaded into the source viewer) it can edit it as a nest or it will retrieve the actual underlying source clip in the nest. Depending on some other decisions you make above....you may want to toggle this one way or another. "

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Curt AshRe: Match frame playback in source monitor
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 7:04:43 pm

Hi David,

Sorry for the late reply to this. My boss has been out of the country on a shoot, so I haven't been able to try this, but I think the gang function may be the culprit.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Curt Ash
Senior Editor
Committee Films
Minneapolis, MN
committeefilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]