ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Need to pinpoint problems in export and client review workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell SmithNeed to pinpoint problems in export and client review workflow
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 3:36:59 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Nov 18, 2015 at 3:52:45 pm

so...
2 hour, 2 camera band shoot. Each camera 1080p. Standing on stage in the dark, with disco-flash backlighting, so my video was slightly underexposed. Pictures are there but it is noisy and dark, and needed fixing.
(Obvious mistake number one).
  • SO I tried to fix it with shadow/highlight, and a denoiser.
  • Had to learn to move around in AE, tried to apply the denoiser, it showed 20 hour or so render times and crashed. I gave up.
  • It was suggested to me on the forums to not apply effects to MTS, to output a master of it to Prores or DNDXHD, import it back in and work off of that instead. Not having Prores, I did the latter in full HD (212 gig file). (On camera 2 only, which is the main backup cam, red track in my picture below).
  • Went back to shadow highlight in premiere, improved footage a bit. There were still MTS files edited on track two for cut ins.
  • It was suggested to me also to "use previews" and export to prores or simliar, which I was unable to change anywhere in the project so it probably has to be done at the beginning?
  • Turned off camera 1, which had the cutaways, and tried to output camera 2 (red track) to the client for review.
  • I have tried so many settings it would be difficult to list them here, but they were usually h264, various combinations of 1920x1080, high quality, sometimes adjusting the bit rate down, sometimes doing only 1 pass, unchecking max bit depth etc. They still take FOREVER. I tried a few of the presets also, HD for YT and Vimeo, but they seemed to affect the quality a bit, and with already problematic footage, I couldn't lose any more information.
  • At this particular incarnation of the project, the timeline is not rendered and the effects applied are shadow/highlight and contrast. A screenshot of the settings is below. It's showing a ten hour export time in encoder.
  • But I tried to render beforehand, and it showed a 19 hour render time.
  • At one step of the way I did export some clips of camera 1, and went to upload them to Youtube for him to look at. Five hour upload time for 45 min file. YT butched the files so they were unusable.
  • Then my internet crashed and the cable company came out to replace the modem
  • I wanted to drive the clips over to him (he's about an hour away) and gave him the option to mail.
  • He asked me to mail it. But I tried to fix and color correct the footage before doing so.
  • Back to 8 and ten hour output times and two day render times.
  • I had to go out of town, have the computer with me, and planned to overnight them to him. The exported file ended up being 27 gig.
  • Finally had an epiphany. Google Drive.
  • Which. Took. Forever. Then Firefox crashed, and my upload went away with it. Because I guess you have to copy your file over to the sync file. Which can be only on your desktop. And it copies the file, not a reference the to the file. I think. Which is a nightmare for drive space if you are dealing with large files.
  • Set it to upload to Google Drive at 11 am. Around two, emailed my client - huge file, but it's coming.. I would be tied up for a few hours but would check back that evening.
  • Came in at 9 pm, the file was still uploading, only 80%, browser crashed.
  • Tried to export some smaller versions of the file from premiere, (h264) but it was looking at such long export times I gave up
  • Tried taking the master (212 gig dnxhd) and exporting smaller files from Streamclip (h264) retaining quality, took the bit rate down to 12 from like 27, but still too long.
  • So about two this morning I could barely keep my eyes open, but broke the 27 gig file up into 4 parts in quicktime, and tried to upload them separately. Went to bed.
  • This morning, only one part had uploaded (but on the upside, Google drive decided to upload a second unnecessary copy of my first file of camera 1)
  • Still uploading. At present, one of four uploaded, exporting one file with a ten hour export time.
  • I am out of town but emailed my client last night and said if need be I would hand deliver them on the way back on Thursday. I may burn them to a drive and overnight them.

The worst part is, when we downsize them we will lose quality, so I just wanted him to see them at the best quality we could get.

Ok, what could have been done better here? Clearly a mess.

I'm out of town two hours away, came here for another, prescheduled job, and am visiting friends, but have lost a lot of sleep, been very tired, and had to focus more on editing and outputting this rather than seeing these friends who I only get to see about once a year.
The frustrating part is, I really liked these guys, they were great, and I wanted to do a great job for them and my intention was to go up and above in the first place.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Need to pinpoint problems in export and client review workflow
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 4:40:47 pm

The "hit or miss" method of learning will eventually get you where you need to be Kell, but you may not have any clients left. An experienced professional editor can teach you the things you need to know in a fraction of the time you will be able to figure these things out on your own, and help here on the Cow can only go so far (in the time it took you to explain all the futile steps you've taken a professional could have shown you just about everything you need to know).

So, you need to do one of the following:

1) find an experienced mentor to guide you

2) pay the price for professional training

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Kell SmithRe: Need to pinpoint problems in export and client review workflow
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:19:05 am

Thank you David,
Up until this job I thought that I was a professional. Apparently I'm not where I need to be.
I wish the COW would allow deletion of this thread or at least editing.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Need to pinpoint problems in export and client review workflow
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:28:32 am

Oops!!! Sorry if I offended you.

Don't sweat it Kell, the post will quickly move down the list soon enough... You and I are the only ones on the thread, so no one else gets notices of our conversation.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2015 at 5:48:30 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Nov 19, 2015 at 5:57:35 am

It takes more than that to offend me David. I'm more disappointed in myself than in your post. Actually you were probably right.
But there really isn't time to dwell on it. The only thing to do is to set about a forensic examination to solve the issues that arose so that they can be corrected. I just expected more of myself. Was confident in my ability to do the shoot and did not foresee the issues that arose.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2015 at 6:09:16 am

What time zone are you in Kell? I ask because I might be able to help you if we can find a time to sync up. In any case, contact me offline and we'll see if we can work something out. You can email me at: drw at drwfilms dot com.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2015 at 5:26:22 am

THank you David, that would be awesome.
I just got in from out of town and have to check last night's export, then am heading to bed. Utterly exhausted. Let's let the dust settle for a day or so and I'll give you a yell. thx

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Tero AhlforsRe: Need to pinpoint problems in export and client review workflow
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 10:54:13 am

If/when you get AVCHD footage you really need to transcode that to a better format before you edit. I'd suggest prores 422 or dnxhd. I got so mad about AVCHD (it's reaaaaaaallly baaaaadddddd) that my last post was removed. I've actually been in the same exact situation, but that wasn't a proper project so it didn't become a nightmare.

If you had the latest Premiere you could've used the new consolidate and transcode or render and replace features, but you don't so this won't help at this point.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2015 at 5:22:50 am

>>>I got so mad about AVCHD (it's reaaaaaaallly baaaaadddddd) that my last post was removed. <<
haha - i feel ya ...lol

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]