ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Advice to speed up denoise in premiere and after effects

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael BurkeAdvice to speed up denoise in premiere and after effects
by on Nov 14, 2015 at 12:42:39 am

Hi,

So this is my first post here.

I have some footage of a piano recital that I gave recently that needs to be denoised.

The footage is avchd, 50p 28mps of a Canon hfg30 (xa20). I used dynamic link to after effects and applied remove grain. Set to 4 passes,temporal filtering enabled and unsharp mask at 0.4 the preview looked very good.

I decided to export the file from ae through ame to dnxhd to bring it back in to premiere for further editing and colour correction. So the 8 minute clip is taking 30 hours to render. The problem is I have another 3 hours that needs to be denoised.

Any advice on a workforce to speed things up would be very much appreciated. Would it be worth converting all footage through ame first to a format that plays nicer with the denoiser? Which format would be the best compromise of speed and quality?

I'd really appreciate any advice that can be offered on this.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Advice to speed up denoise in premiere and after effects
by on Nov 14, 2015 at 2:23:45 pm

Here is an alternative method. It allows you to use some masking techniques to de-noise where it is really needed, and takes less time per shot.

The tutorial is about 20 minutes long, but that is because this fellow takes time to unpack and explain the technique. You cannot really see the results looking at the video (too compressed on YouTube), but you will be able to see it on your footage.

You will be able to set up the technique as an AE project, and just use it like a template, loading in different footage.

The workflow here is to de-noise the footage before you edit, and then do your cut with the cleaned-up versions of the shots.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Michael BurkeRe: Advice to speed up denoise in premiere and after effects
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 1:19:08 am

Thanks,

For some reason the YouTube link doesn't seem to be working. I'm guessing this might be a video I saw which used tint and levels to create a luma matte to apply the denoiser to just the dark areas.

Unfortunately for some reason I've ended up with footage that is noisy in all areas. I had to leave t the camera in shutter priority unattended. My only guess is that for some reason the camera might have closed the aperture and ramped up the gain really high. I think the amount of noise has caused terrible problems for the compression codec.

The denoiser did improve things somewhat so I might have to just put up with the time it takes. It at least makes the terrible footage slightly less terrible.

Presumably I could halve the time if I converted from 50fps to 25fps before denoising. Any suggestions on the best intermediate codec to use for this purpose that might then ultimately play nicer than the 50fps avchd I have at the moment?

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]