ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew PlourdeSound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 11, 2015 at 11:56:48 am
Last Edited By Matthew Plourde on Nov 11, 2015 at 12:02:09 pm

Gang, I am in desperate need of help here. After finally figuring out my merged clip problem (stupid Odyssey Recorder!) I have spent a great deal of time trying to sync my sound. I have CC 2015, plus I downloaded PluralEyes. Now I have tried going into PluralEyes first, then into Premiere. or Premiere first, then into PluralEyes and back. Nothing but confusion and failure.

I have tried syncing in Premiere using Merged clips. But that function is hugely flawed! Your merged clips save with the audio all out of sync! Each track is off by 1/16 to 1/2 a frame, which is plenty. I have read dozens of posts online from people furious at this huge flaw.

I DESPERATELY need help on how to move forward.

I have 1080p footage from the Sony FS700 camera card and I also have the 2k ProRes footage from the Odyssey Recorder, which I had to 'fix' with their CDProres transfer 1.5 software for Premiere to understand the spanned clips.

I have TWO days of audio and unfortunately two different methods of recording (scheduling conflict) so that does complicate matters. Day 1 audio is multi-track (3 tracks) and Day 2 was recorded on a Zoom and I have three separate mono audio tracks for each take.

Not one single tutorial is similar to what I have so all of the hours of YouTubing I've done are useless. I don't understand how to use PluralEyes. WHen it did work, it didn't because it gave me downmixed two channel audio. And Premiere Pro clearly has a huge bug with Merged Clips.

PLEASE someone advise me how I can move forward here. I need to get going, sync this audio, somehow, so I can edit. For 5+ years I used CS5 and mostly two channel audio and never had audio issues. Now I am overwhelmed.

I am in flipping China, cut off from the world (we shot in NYC and then I hopped a plane here for a much needed day job) so that makes things more difficult (the net here is soooo slow).

An example of what happens in Premiere with MERGED CLIPS. This is after the supposed merge. WTH is with the audio suddenly being out of sync like that?

Here is some of my Day 01 audio. These are single audio files for each clip, but multi-track.

And here is Day #2's audio. Three mono audio files for this single take. I am posting all of this so I am clear on what my assets are.

I am sorry to seem like a novie. I was really shocked at how complicated this turned out to be after so many years of editing in CS5 and having no difficulty. I typically had camera audio and one separate externally recorded piece of audio, in mono or stereo. And I never had trouble syncing.

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 11, 2015 at 2:11:34 pm

Mathew -

First of all, having your audio off by 1/2, let alone 1/16 of a frame is not a real problem in terms of lip sync - at 1/16 of a frame, your off by 1/480th of a second (or 1/384th if shooting at 24). There are some situations where this could be an issue - cutting the same piece of music from different sources - but otherwise it's just not a big deal.

Secondly if your having problems with the "merge" feature, which I never use, I would suggest that you sync your audio to video as a "multi-clip" even though it's just 1 camera and 1 audio source. If you need more info on how to do that let me know.

Finally, take your Zoom mono sources, lay them on a timeline and export them out as a single multi-chanel source to match your other audio. Ppro multiclips work great with multi-channel audio sources - just choose "Camera 1" under "Audio Sequence Settings" when you create your multiclips.

Good luck.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Matthew PlourdeRe: Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 11, 2015 at 2:39:30 pm

I was able to see the sound being off at times but the key is without perfect sync my audio guy cannot come close to doing my sound mix. Each track is recorded at a differnt level so that if one gets too hot, go to track 2, etc.

I'm not sure how to do multi-clip. Is there a tutorial that is relevant for my situation? I haven't found one.

More information on PluralEyes. It easily syncs the audio. But when it exports to an XML and I place that in premiere I then have a down-mixed stereo track. That's completely useless and takes away the ability for the editor to do my sound mix. The multiple tracks recorded at different levels are baked together.

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 11, 2015 at 3:05:52 pm
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Nov 11, 2015 at 3:16:28 pm

[Matthew Plourde] "More information on PluralEyes. It easily syncs the audio. But when it exports to an XML and I place that in premiere I then have a down-mixed stereo track."

After importing the PE XML into Ppro, check your clips in the bin, not the timeline, by right clicking, choose Modify/Audio Channels - I'm guessing it says "1 track/stereo" - you can change it to "2 track/mono" or whatever you need right there. This will not change any clips in your timeline - you will have to re-lay them using time code or whatever.

My suggestion would be to use multiclips as I described. There are many tutorials for this but the basics are to select your files in the bin, right click and choose "Create Multicamera Source Sequence" - then a dialogue box comes up - the important choices are to choose "Audio" in the syncronize area leaving all boxes in that area un-checked, Then check the box for "Move source to processed clips bin" in the Sequence Preset area - which should be left on automatic, then in the Audio area
choose Camera 1 for Sequence Settings and Automatic for Audio Channels and then hit OK. You will now have a multicam sequence for every paired video and audio clip with the original sources being moved into a new bin marked "processed." Anything it couldn't sync will remain in the original bin. These multicam sequences are just a special type of nested sequence - they will act like normal clips for your setup because you only have one video clip per sequence. To load each clip in the viewer you have to highlight them in the bin, right click and choose "open in Source Monitor" - unlike a normal clip double clicking will open them up in the timeline, not load them in the monitor.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Nathan WaltersRe: Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 11, 2015 at 3:13:09 pm

What settings are you choosing when going through the "merge clips" process?

Nathan Walters
Halo Union Productions
http://www.HaloUnion.com

Return to posts index

Matthew PlourdeRe: Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 12, 2015 at 1:09:00 am
Last Edited By Matthew Plourde on Nov 12, 2015 at 1:10:11 am

There are not any settings to choose. Everything is grayed out. What are you referring to?

Once I have the sound tracks synced with the video I select all sound and video and MERGE CLIP. I then move that clip to a BIN (that's what a number of tutorials show). That clip that is now in the bin will have sound out of sync.

Return to posts index

Nathan WaltersRe: Sound sync nightmare w/Premiere or PluralEyes. I REALLY need assist. Project stalled with no hope in sight.
by on Nov 12, 2015 at 1:28:09 am

I haven't done it since CS6. But used to you would open the video in the source monitor, set an "in" point for your sync point. Then open the audio file into the source monitor. Set an "in" point for your sync point there. Then when you go to "Merge Clips," there's an option to sync them according to the "in" points. That merges them correctly.

Nathan Walters
Halo Union Productions
http://www.HaloUnion.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 13, 2015 at 9:10:42 am

I don't see how to merge clips from the source monitor. I can certainly set in points there, but to merge a clip they need to be in the timeline. Merging via the IN point appears to work, but again, once I place that merged clip into a BIN and go back to it later, the sound is off. It seems like complete lunacy, but it is. It has to be a glitch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]