ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Easier workflow for adjusting variable light outdoors?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael KellamEasier workflow for adjusting variable light outdoors?
by on Nov 10, 2015 at 7:54:56 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to adjust outdoor footage in a continuous shot where the light varies, sometimes dramatically. I'm using Premiere CC.

I shot the footage on a GoPro Hero 4, which did a fairly good job adjusting to keep the shot from getting blown out, however the footage will sometimes look very low contrast (faded) and then within a few seconds, when the sun comes out, the contrast will increase dramatically, with the blacks becoming significantly darker and the whites in a few places reaching the upper limit and maybe a little above. (It was a partly cloudy day with clouds moving and the shot is a highly detailed forest with shadows and highlights sometimes appearing very close together.)

I've tried a number of things to correct it so it looks more natural, but what seems to work best is a combination of shadow/highlight, brightness/contrast and 3 way color corrector. But I have 2 problems:

1) Even though I'm using shadow/highlight on manual settings, when I cut a clip and then adjust the effects differently for both pieces, I have to use a 3-5 second dissolve so the change in effects is not visually perceived by the viewer. In some instances, this results in shadow/highlight flicker through the dissolve-- (Just had a duh moment - should I be keyframing instead of dissolving?)

2) Is there possibly a faster way to do this? I have 30 minutes of continuous footage and in many parts, I have to adjust every few seconds, which is a major headache. Is there possibly any more automatic way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to share.

Michael

Michael Kellam
http://www.kellammedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]