ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Importing 120 fps video into Premiere Pro 5.0

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve siegelImporting 120 fps video into Premiere Pro 5.0
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 3:18:12 am

I have a Panasonic HC-WX870 camcorder that purports to shoot at 120 fps. Indeed, the footage run at half speed looks better than material that I have shot in the past at 59.94 run at half speed, so I guess it really is 120 fps.

When I upload to PPro 5.0, however, the footage properties list the frame rate as 59.94, not 120 fps.

Now here's the strange part. I can put the data card back into the Panasonic camcorder and do a manipulation called slow motion conversion on individual clips shot in the "120fps" mode. It creates a new file from each clip on the data card. When one of these files is imported to PPro, it is twice as long as the original, and about twice the size. It acts like a 120 fps clip would be expected to, with new frames apparent between the frames of the original clip. These are not interpolated guesses or blending, but real, sharp frames. Obviously the data collected at 120 fps is recorded in the media. PPro does not seem to recognize it, however, unless I do the in-camera conversion.

My question is this: Is there a way to get PPro to see and import all the data on the card without having to go through the hassle of converting in-camera first?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Importing 120 fps video into Premiere Pro 5.0
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:58:33 am

[steve siegel] "When I upload to PPro 5.0, however, the footage properties list the frame rate as 59.94, not 120 fps."

Probably because the camera doesn't record the footage in a 120 fps file and instead does a 59.94 fps file. Are you really using 5.0 or CS5? Because 5.0 came out almost 20 years ago and probably is missing some features.

Return to posts index

steve siegelRe: Importing 120 fps video into Premiere Pro 5.0
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:49:15 pm

Thank you Tero,

Yes it is CS5 (sorry). I sort of suspected it was filming at 59.94. Why do they tell you it's 120 fps, and then not make it clear in the instructions that you need to do manipulations to get there? Ruined a whole week of shooting because I thought I was getting 120 fps native.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]