ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

You gotta be kidding...Markers?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric SantiagoYou gotta be kidding...Markers?
by on Nov 8, 2015 at 5:08:45 pm
Last Edited By Eric Santiago on Nov 8, 2015 at 5:18:37 pm

I just put a client through hell with Premiere's inability to share projects without moving the original data.
After weeks of applying clip markers on DSLR footage, sending just the Premiere project file across the world has become a stupid nightmare of a workflow.
Why are they missing on her end?
We are both on CC 2015.
The other issue which I cant fault Premiere for is the client had MVI files with same name so the timeline got mixed up with wrong footage.
So its November 2015, is there a quick fix for the markers or should I just avoid using markers all together.
Now of course that's just another reason why I avoid this app.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: You gotta be kidding...Markers?
by on Nov 8, 2015 at 6:30:19 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Why are they missing on her end?"

It's a possibility that the markers have been turned off in the timeline settings. Click the wrench icon above the tracks.

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: You gotta be kidding...Markers?
by on Nov 8, 2015 at 6:52:57 pm

I will forward that but she says when clip is selected nothing shows up in the Markers panel.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2015 at 7:28:47 pm

def not the sequence settings.

checking in Google this seems to be an old issue that hasnt been fixed to date.

what a waste of time doing all that.

Return to posts index

Stephen AbbottRe: You gotta be kidding...Markers?
by on Nov 8, 2015 at 8:12:09 pm

Hi Eric,

Premiere writes clip markers to the source video file. That way—the thinking goes—you get the markers in all Apps (from Prelude to Premiere etc.) without any further ado. But of course the markers don't then live in the project file, and can't be easily shared. Sorry you had to discover this the hard way... :(

This freaks me out, as I don't like *anything* editing the size and modified date of the video files I'm working on—proxies or not, they shouldn't be touched by the NLE. I tend to lock the source files, which breaks Premiere's clip marking feature but keeps my video files untouched. I get most of the marker functionality back by marking in sequences rather than on the clips themselves. This serves the way I edit (from selects sequence to assembly sequence, rather than from clip/bin to sequence) so I'm not too grumpy about it.

A solution for you could be the straight marker export from Premiere. From https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new-7-2.html

Export markers as a list

Premiere Pro lets you export markers from a single media asset or sequence to a CSV or HTML file. The Export Markers feature works with the asset whose markers are loaded in the Markers panel.

1. Load the markers of the required clip or sequence into the Markers panel. To do so, select the clip or sequence in the Project panel, or set focus on the Source Monitor, Program Monitor, or Timeline.
2. Select File > Export > Markers.
3. In the Export Markers dialog, specify the file type, output destination, and filename. Then, click OK.

Another solution could be XML export. I'm not sure whether Premiere's XML export includes markers, but if it does then at least you can get all the marking work out into a small, shareable file. After that, some scripting *could* get you somewhere, even if it's just a marker list in a spreadsheet. Quite likely a lot more work than the first option...

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2015 at 8:36:42 pm

Thanks Stephen in the interim Ill try that Maker export workflow.

I am still in awe that this is an issue.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:06:59 am

Preferences - media - try to turn off "write clip markers to XMP"

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2015 at 1:58:14 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Preferences - media - try to turn off "write clip markers to XMP""

That one I know about but doesn't work after the fact.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: You gotta be kidding...Markers?
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:52:32 pm

[Eric Santiago] "That one I know about but doesn't work after the fact.
"

I came across this web page last night talking about the Markers and XMP and one of the commenters might have a solution (assuming you haven't tried it already).

"Tw 2015/03/22 at 17:45
We have a similar problem – Started logging with markers writing to XMP before we realized the markers wouldn’t be in the Project file. Best workaround we have so far is this:
1.) Uncheck Write clip markers to XMP in Preferences >> Media
2.) open markers panel with the clip
3.) double click on each marker and then simply make an edit to marker, e.g., change color of marker

This has the effect of moving marker data from XMP to the project file.

Yes it’s very tedious, but at least it doesn’t require a lot of brain work."

http://www.creativeimpatience.com/premiere-pro-clip-markers-solved/

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2015 at 6:24:23 pm

Oh, nice Andrew, that will work well.

Eric, it seems you're on a Mac. It's quite easy to write an Applescript to automate repetitive keyboard-only tasks such as this. I did one for creating subclips from individual edits on a timeline. You can write a crude loop plus call each keystroke—essentially you have a fragile 'programme' that can run on top of Premiere.

Shout if you'd like to see my subclip script, I'll try dig it up.

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: You gotta be kidding...Markers?
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:29:41 pm

scary that original files are altered

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2015 at 6:34:14 pm

[Robert Withers] "scary that original files are altered"

It's only metadata and if the format doesn't support the metadata you're writing it'll make an XMP sidecar metadata file next to the footage file.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2015 at 7:21:33 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "It's only metadata and if the format doesn't support the metadata you're writing it'll make an XMP sidecar metadata file next to the footage file.
"

Well, metadata as a sidecar or somewhere else entirely seems like a better idea, and (for me at least) it is surprising that this isn't the default. Yes, Premiere is simply changing the metadata inside my, say, Quicktime footage files, but doing so means any checksum on that file will fail to confirm that the file is as I left it. Who knows when there will be both a metadata change and a corruption of some kind... certainly not the checksum at that point. That seems like a pretty big drawback for any real monitoring of the status of my media. Like I said, fine for proxies where the integrity of the media isn't really a concern...

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2015 at 1:16:56 pm

I've been working in RED eco for seven years as well as XDCAM for ten.
This DSLR workflow has been a pain and will avoid it from this day on.
I don't miss the analogue days but at least you had some control.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2016 at 10:24:40 pm

Digging up an old post of mine.
Just to add, there is no way to list all Markers in a timeline within Premiere.
It seems export markers only work on selected clips.
Then of course you cant select more than one clip and have Premiere show it in the markers window.
Anyone have any options for this?
I am attempting XML and try using Oxygen XML reader to sift through.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2016 at 10:40:54 pm

FCP XML option not viable.
I can see the Marker statement but one particular XML editor refuse to filter them.
Dont have my coding hat on :P

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2016 at 3:52:46 am

Yep this bit me again :P
Seriously not even fixed with CC 2015.

Client used a 80GB file as source and created markers.
The clip was on desktop when markers were created.
Now the Premiere project made it to me along with the file but since the desktop doesnt exist (delivered via ext drive) Premiere doesnt care if its the same file, it just doesnt carry the markers.

This seems like a waste of an option for shared projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]