ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Transcoding XAVC footage to Pro Res

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magee McIlvaineTranscoding XAVC footage to Pro Res
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 6:09:19 pm

Creative Cow Community,

I am looking for some quick transcoding help and advice. I have some XAVC footage that I need to transcode quickly to Pro Res for a client. I know Catalyst Browse can do it, but I'm hesitant to fork over $200 (my trial version expired). Could this process be as simple as bringing the XAVC raw footage into a Premiere CC timeline and exporting out from there to Pro Res? What risks (ie quality loss), if any, would there be in just doing that?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
-Magee

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Transcoding XAVC footage to Pro Res
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 6:19:55 pm

And the reason you're not using Adobe Media Encoder is???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Magee McIlvaineRe: Transcoding XAVC footage to Pro Res
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 6:38:57 pm

No. Good point. Any difference between using Adobe Media Encoder and Sony Catalyst Browse?

Thank you for the quick response!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Transcoding XAVC footage to Pro Res
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:12:15 am

Resolve is a good solution... However, though you can't see it necessarily, ProRes LT is NOT the best choice when transcoding from XAVC - you will lose some information, especially when you go down generations in later encodes, etc. ProRes 422 is best for HD, and ProRes HQ is best for 2K and above.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jon SchwartzRe: Transcoding XAVC footage to Pro Res
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 10:17:50 pm

Its that easy. I am on a gig now using Davinci Resolve 12 to make ProRes. I think thats the ticket. There is no loss of quality specifically in that way of transcoding the footage, just whatever you would normally lose depending on the type of prores used. Im seeing a decent image here going to proresLT. check the bitrates of prores codecs compared to xavc.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]