ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro lags while shuffling through clips

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris SuchorskyPremiere Pro lags while shuffling through clips
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:40:19 pm

I posted this on Adobe's site two days ago and no one has answered...

I've been using FCP for the last 16 years. I recently made the switch to Premiere because Apple decided to become a phone company and no longer cares about its pro users. I've had some real frustration with Premiere, but my biggest complaint is the lag issue. In FCP, you would transcode your footage to ProRes and work off those files. In Premiere, you can use the raw files you transferred from the card. I like this because it saves time transcoding, but it's useless if it take 50 times longer to sift through content. Here's the problem, if I import footage through Media Browser (MXF files / MTS Files) and then load a file in the Source window to view, it lags when I shuffle through it. You can not scrub through the content at a normal pace. You go back and forth scrubbing left to right and the image barely moves. There is no way to scrub through footage and look for content at a normal pace. I guessing it's this "link to the raw file issue." Why? Because I'm doing an online edit with Premiere. I originally imported footage in FCP7 and transcoded the footage into ProRes. I recently moved over to Premiere before I got to deep into the edit (feature-length doc). So I have the original ProRes files right next to the new clips I imported through Media Browser. In case this is confusing, I shot a clip of a man walking, I imported that clip in FCP7 as a ProRes clip, and then I imported the same clip from the original raw MTS file through Media Browser. So I have two versions of the same thing, a Pro Res clip and Premiere''s version of the clip. If I load a clip from the MTS file I logged in Premiere, it stutters and lags. If I load the ProRes version of that clip, I can shuffle through the footage like I'm in FCP7. This is a serious problem. You can't edit like this. I tried moving over to Premiere three years ago when Apple decided to abandoned us and I ran into this issue. I edited one project and then went back to FCP7. I couldn't deal with it.

Please tell me there is a fix for this. Just to get a head start... I have a new 27 inch 5k iMac with 32 GB RAM, 3 TB HD, Quad Core 4 GHz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, etc. It's the fastest iMac you can get. I paid nearly 5k for this thing. It's not the computer. I also shut off that Mercury Engine because someone told me that was an issue...

Chris

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Premiere Pro lags while shuffling through clips
by on Nov 6, 2015 at 3:01:22 am

I think I accidentally found a fix for this, literally a few minutes ago. I have my default work space set to "color". That means the lumetri window is open. If I have it on "Creative" that mini-window with a still frame from the clip shows. When that is the case, the video will lag terribly in both the Program and Source windows. Changing the lumetri window to any of the other choices, i.e. Correction, Curves, etc. drastically reduces the lag on my computer to almost zero lag, which I'm sure is nowhere near as powerful as the computers you guys use.

Return to posts index

scott PattersonRe: Premiere Pro lags while shuffling through clips
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 5:02:02 pm

Chris,
I'm having a very similar problem and have spent a lot of time looking for answers online.
(the other response on the thread may have worked for that guy, but not our issue i think).
Have you found any resolution? This really makes editing not fun.
scott

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere Pro lags while shuffling through clips
by on Jan 22, 2016 at 11:39:04 am

AVCHD is a terrible codec and pretty much the only one I would transcode for Premiere use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]