ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Trouble linking AVIs to Original footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug PlumerTrouble linking AVIs to Original footage
by on Nov 3, 2015 at 3:58:59 pm

Hoping for help with a frustrating issue.
I am using PP 2015 on a 2013 Mac Pro 6-core OS 10.9.5
I have inherited a 40 min doc with a combination of Hi-res stills (3000x3000) and AVI video files (720x480).

The previous material has just the lo-res AVI files in the project and timeline, but I have the original 1440x1080 in separate folders-with .mp4 as a suffix instead of .avi.
Otherwise the file names seem the same.

My goal is to up-res the current project so the video is at least 1440x1080.
so far I have not had any luck with the "Link Media" command- Lots of crunching, but I still get 720x480.

Any ideas of what could make this work?
I am adding new 4K footage from my Sony FS7 in XAVCi format and hope to scale the whole project into a 4K timeline-eventually
Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Trouble linking AVIs to Original footage
by on Nov 3, 2015 at 6:56:35 pm

Check to make certain your media files have a reel # - many cameras do not put a reel # in the metadata field, so even if the reel name and timecode are identical relinking becomes problematic.

[Doug Plumer] "I am adding new 4K footage from my Sony FS7 in XAVCi format and hope to scale the whole project into a 4K timeline-eventually"

Adobe has not yet optimized the XAVCi codec yet, so you will encounter some BIG issues editing with it in Premiere at this time - I would advise transcoding that material to one of the Pro Res codecs, either LT or Proxy if you are going to use an offline>online workflow, or transcode to Pro Res HQ if you want to simply go online all the way.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]