ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

h264 gamma shift?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mason Gentryh264 gamma shift?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 7:33:05 pm

Hi All,

I think I'm having some gamma issues but I'm not sure. Would love any feedback. My specs:

- 2010 iMac, El Capitan, ATI Radeon HD 5670, 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3
- Premiere Pro CS4
- Camera used = Fujifilm X100s
- My camera shoots .mov's and compresses in .h264

- -

Reference images:

http://i.imgur.com/JPBTNpb.jpg

- When I view the video files in Quicktime or Photos the color is ALMOST correct when judging it against the viewfinder image on my camera. You can mostly notice the difference in the skin tone.

- When viewed in Premiere the color is super dark.

- Wondering if this is related to some .h264 gamma shifts I've read about. Basically I just want it to look in premiere like does on the viewfinder. Final output will be for desktop only. Thoughts? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: h264 gamma shift?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 8:16:53 pm

Thought #1: El Capitan isn't rated for the CURRENT Adobe suite...and you are using it with CS4. That MIGHT have something to do with it...not sure. Just throwing it out there.

[Mason Gentry] "- When I view the video files in Quicktime or Photos the color is ALMOST correct when judging it against the viewfinder image on my camera. You can mostly notice the difference in the skin tone."

You're comparing your viewfinder vs the computer display? Viewfinders aren't color accurate at all. Not designed to be. Just meant to be used to see what you are shooting...an approximation. If you want color accuracy on set, in terms of lighting and all that, you need to connect a broadcast monitor to the outputs of that camera.

[Mason Gentry] "- When viewed in Premiere the color is super dark."

Viewfinders tend to be brighter, less contrast...so you can see in the shadows while shooting. Again, not color accurate.

[Mason Gentry] "Basically I just want it to look in premiere like does on the viewfinder. Final output will be for desktop only. "

This is where color correction comes in. After you edit, you now need to color correct the footage to be what you want.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mason GentryRe: h264 gamma shift?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 8:33:08 pm

Thanks for the help Shane! Sounds like maybe my footage really is darker than I think because my viewfinder was lying.

That all makes sense, but if thats the case why do stills in Photoshop from the same shoot look better than my video footage? Here's a comparison with photoshop on the left:

http://i.imgur.com/zPzjT44.jpg

Is there maybe another issue going on ( in addition to my lack of a broadcast monitor)?

Return to posts index

Mason GentryRe: h264 gamma shift?
by on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:54:39 am

An Update:

I tried importing the footage into premiere CC and it looks much better. Not sure why of the difference.

For a comparison heres CS4 on the left, CC on the right: http://i.imgur.com/Elb7qyV.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]