ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Remapping Audio after editing- is there a way?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan SakolsRemapping Audio after editing- is there a way?
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 8:11:29 pm

Hi,

I have a sequence of clips, with 2 channel audio and somehow, when importing them, the Audio got mapped to A1 and A2 tracks. Worse, the mapping under Clip>> Modify>>Audio Ch, has both tracks mapped to Ch 1- so Ive got mono but no stereo. all the settings in the Modify Audio window are greyed out. I think there may be now way at this stage to re-map the audio from my edited timeline (yes, I can start a project again, but that is not an option).

So is there a way to remap the audio? if not, Id like to see if I can redo the project, but somehow export all my edit point (just the in/out is fine) so I don't need to reedit all my clips. Is that possible? I tried with export edl but that didn't do anything for me.

thanks
dan

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Remapping Audio after editing- is there a way?
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 8:40:27 pm

Dan,

I'm confused by your post... How exactly was the audio recorded in the camera? It sounds like mic #1 to channel-1, and mic #2 to channel-2. Is that correct?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dan SakolsRe: Remapping Audio after editing- is there a way?
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 9:45:20 pm

the media was captured with a Nikon DSLR. Normally my the clips audio shows stereo (L/R) on audio track 1. What happened, somehow, upgrading a Premiere 6 project to Premiere CC, the audio mapping changed to two mono tracks, A1 and A2. I went ahead and continued editing not realizing that these mono tracks were mapped to Ch 1. So i have a nice mono, but loose stereo.

dan

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:08:40 pm

Again, your explanation is confusing... I specifically asked if you were recording mic # 1 to channel-1 and mic #2 to channel-2, but you gave me lots of info except what I specifically asked for.

I can't help you if you only give me the symptoms in Premiere, but not the precise origin of the issue, and I need to know what exactly was being recorded, because I'm confused about your use of the term "stereo" in this case, unless you were using a stereo microphone.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:16:48 pm

Sorry,

Yes, I was using a hot shoe stereo microphone that plugged in directly to the DSLR

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:31:35 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:33:39 pm

Well, at least I now understand the origin of the audio and the origin of the problem.

I never use stereo mics, so I can't answer your question directly, but let me ask you this, does the subject matter you recorded REALLY have the spacial requirements that requires stereo, especially as stereo mics hardly produce enough separation to produce a true 3D sound stage unless the source of the sound is extremely localized and moves about the video frame in 3D space???

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:38:30 pm

The stereo mic, does actually capture a stereo sound stage, and sound a bit better than summing the channels to mono. Its not a big difference though. Im not going to re do my editing to restore the sound stage. I don't think Im going to be able to change the audio mapping at this stage in the project.

What I would be interested to understand is if a future project gets corrupted, if I can extract the edit points, make a new project and at least restore all the places I made cuts in my clips. Any idea?

thanks,

dan

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2015 at 11:29:03 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Nov 4, 2015 at 7:46:07 pm

If it were me, I would export an EDL, and I'd edit it in a text editor (making every event stereo), then reimport the EDL, and relink files if necessary.

You might also want to check the menu in your camera to be certain you didn't accidentally change a record setting to dual mono in-camera.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

john mahoneyRe: Remapping Audio after editing- is there a way?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 1:19:09 am

I go out of my way to have my stereo audio import as A1, A2, mono. This is what i am used to with FCP.
In Edit Preferences, there is a way to control how your audio imports. You want to make sure the part relating to "Stereo Media" is not mono. This only is relevant to future imports.

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Remapping Audio after editing- is there a way?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 4:55:19 pm

[Dan Sakols] "So is there a way to remap the audio?"

Dan, pull up the track mixer and pan track 1 to the left and track 2 to the right - stereo.

To get single stereo tracks you'd have to do the following - go to the bin and highlight all your clips then right click and choose "modify/audio settings" and set them all to stereo. This will not change what is already in your timeline, but you can go thru thru your timeline and for each audio cut do a match frame, and then hit edit, and you will replace each mono cut with the stereo. It doesn't take that long to do.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

by on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:24:59 pm

That worked perfectly to get the stereo back...

I think Im done. I don't think it matters if some clips are using A1 stereo and then some are A1 and A2 dual mono.

thanks
dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]