ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

What would cause a project to crash repeatedly, then suddenly open without problems?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell SmithWhat would cause a project to crash repeatedly, then suddenly open without problems?
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 2:13:55 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Nov 1, 2015 at 2:15:09 pm

So I've been working on this CS6 project with a lot of AVCHD clips edited in multicam. My system is adequate to edit two avchd cameras.
It worked fine last night when closing and reopening. Then, this morning it crashed about six times in a row upon opening, with an error message saying there was a conflict and it had to close. The recovery project crashed as well. I trashed preferences (option shift while opening), removed the external drive, restarted, all several times and it continued to crash. Other projects opened just fine.

A few minutes later, after doing nothing, it opened without incident, then opened again when I closed and reopened it. It's running fine now(so far). I did make a backup copy.

The only thing I can think of is that it freaked out loading the AVCHD files in the multicam sequence, or was searching a bit since some of the files were moved around in the project window to make the multicam sequences. (I import in under full card structure, but had to copy some of the mts files and put them together in their own folder to make the multicam work, and since some of them are named similarly, maybe it blew a fuse).

This behavior is worrisome. Had I not tried to open it again just on a whim, I'd be re-editing now from an old autosave. Has anyone else experienced this?

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: What would cause a project to crash repeatedly, then suddenly open without problems?
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 6:27:40 pm

Hi Kell,

What OS are you editing on? CS6 hasn't been updated for any OS past Win 7 or Mountain Lion, a newer OS will cause random issues like that.

Another thing to watch for is RAM usage.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Kell SmithRe: What would cause a project to crash repeatedly, then suddenly open without problems?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 12:25:59 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Nov 2, 2015 at 2:38:48 am

Mountain Lion - kind of afraid to update because you never know what it will affect. I do have some older software on here.
Probably we'll never know what happened exactly - just curious about whether others have experienced this.

*here is an added issue - may or may not matter but I"ll post it - I'm also noticing interlace lines in progressive footage in the source monitor. Haven't hunted down the issue yet. I'll check the camera tomorrow to see if it was inadvertently recorded that way but I could swear it was progressive.

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: What would cause a project to crash repeatedly, then suddenly open without problems?
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:45:16 pm

Can you confirm that you imported the AVCHD clips into the Media Browser for spanned clips to conform prior to placing them on the timeline?

Check the amount of RAM you have allocated to Premiere Pro. If you are working with only 16GB of RAM, you might want to increase it to something like 24 - 32 GB.

Save early and often. I have had similar problems out of the blue with MAC OS app Pages... It will refuse to open a file I just created for no apparent reason. Then it will work out of the blue. So I save the file with a new name.

Namaste,

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

Kell SmithRe: What would cause a project to crash repeatedly, then suddenly open without problems?
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 1:18:45 pm
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Nov 5, 2015 at 8:39:41 pm

Thanks Jon,
Sorry I've been swamped and it's taken a few days to get back to the thread.
Yes, the clips were imported properly through the media browser.
As for the RAM, it says 'Installed RAM 16 gig, RAM available for other applications, 5 gig, RAM available for Premiere, 11 gig.

>>EDIT<<< Grrr... now it's crashing again. THis time in two projects.
>>>EDIT<<< Trashed prefs, restarted, now both work again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]