ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Magnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gillian MarsollierMagnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx
by on Oct 31, 2015 at 12:07:15 am

Hello all,
I have been using FCPx for quite awhile and love the magnetic timeline.

I am now using Premiere and cannot figure out the magnetic timeline. I would like to just pick clips up in a sequence and drop them elsewhere along the sequence by just going to the area I need, to the in point, and then dropping it in. I would like the timeline to open up and 'snap' it in without affecting the clips around it.

I have tried 'S', on and off. I have tried turning on the magnet icon. I have tried turning off the 'insert or overwrite' icon. I have tried combos of all of these. I have tried control/alt while dragging it. None of this seems to work. It all overwrites part of the clip beside where I am trying to place the clip I am moving. I just want the timeline to open up, drop in the clip, and close back up without affecting anything at all.

Please send some advice!! Thank you

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Magnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx
by on Oct 31, 2015 at 10:43:31 pm

X is the NLE that has a magnetic timeline like that. If you want to do an insert/ripple edit while dragging clips around the timeline in PPro just hold down the Command key (I assume you are using a Mac, not Windows). If you grab and move a clip in the timeline you'll see mouse change to an 'overwrite' icon by default. If you hold down the Command key the icon changes to an insert edit icon. The timeline won't animate like FCP X so you won't see clips moving out of the way but when you do the insert edit everything to the right of the new clip will be moved down the timeline. Just like if you were doing an insert edit from the Source window.

S (and the magnet icon) are for snapping to the head/tail of clips. The insert/overwrite icon next to the magnet is for editing one sequence into another (you can either chose to have the sequence edited in as a nested sequence or as the individual clips that make up that sequence).

Return to posts index

Gillian MarsollierRe: Magnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx
by on Nov 3, 2015 at 5:53:28 pm

Very helpful. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Magnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx
by on Nov 4, 2015 at 4:12:49 am

No problem. It's what the COW is for.

Return to posts index

Curt AshRe: Magnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx
by on Nov 19, 2015 at 9:06:55 pm

Whoa, I didn't know that! All this time I've been moving all my media down, then moving the clip where I want it to go, then deleting the blank space between the two like a sucker!

Great tip, thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Amir MuhammadRe: Magnetic Timeline in Premiere Pro? Coming from FCPx
by on Jul 23, 2016 at 7:00:24 pm

I know this is an old post but I made an account just to like your post & comment. Thank you so much for this. I love FCPX but this has been the make or break for me is the magnetic timeline feature among other features such as the re-syncing in the multi-cam after the multi-cam is made not sure if Premiere Pro can do that. Even tho its not exactly like it. Its super close & workable. Thank you so much. This changed my view on Premiere Pro & the hidden gems it has.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]