ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Offline Editing Resolution Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael SchmidtOffline Editing Resolution Issues
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:16:49 pm

Hi All,

I have some footage shot in 4k (UHD) that playing back pretty choppy on my computer (Mid-2010 Macbook Pro, Dual 2.66 i7, 8GB, OS 10.9.5).

The original footage is H.264, 3840x2160, 29.97 100 Mbps, .MOV.

So, I created an offline file with the same specs but with a bitrate of 10Mbps. The trouble is that this new file still plays choppy. This computer has no issues playing or editing 1080 at 100Mbps. So why the trouble with files 1/10th the size. Am I missing something here? Or, if I offline my files to 1080 or even 720 am I going to run in to weird issues later reimporting the UHD?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Offline Editing Resolution Issues
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:26:03 pm

Transcode to a hi-performance codec like ProRes - h.264 is extremely processor intensive

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael SchmidtRe: Offline Editing Resolution Issues
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:40:45 pm

Thanks David! This works but it doubles the file sizes. Is there a way around that?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Offline Editing Resolution Issues
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 8:16:02 pm

Hard drives are now the single least expensive of all the major components of your NLE.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: Offline Editing Resolution Issues
by on Oct 31, 2015 at 12:01:25 am

Remember that 2K, 4K, 5K projects are huge source files to begin with, so you need as much processor, RAM and GPU help you can get from the beginning.

Check your Preferences and increase the amount of RAM allocated to Premiere Pro.

Do you have a GPU card that works with the Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro?

Increase your computer's RAM to something like 24 or 32 GB.

What sort of Data Management are you using, (i.e. SSD, HDDs RAID - what type?) Do you have a dedicated Scratch Disk for your Media/Project/Sequences separate from your OS/Applications disk?

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]