ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Stupidly slow exports

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will ChamberlinStupidly slow exports
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 4:14:00 pm

Just made the switch from FCPX to premiere CC, expecting some hiccups along the way but this one is driving me nuts.

Exporting a 3 minute video, 1 video file (HD capture of a vision mixed livestream). Colour Corrected and Neat Video plugin added. Nothing major.

I'm used to 3-5 minute projects exporting in FCPX (ProRes 422 Output) in 5 minutes, this is estimating 5 HOURS.

What's going on here? What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Stupidly slow exports
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 4:31:15 pm

Your seq preview file setting is probably set incorrectly.

1) Set it to a the codec you'd like to master to
2) Render the timeline when your edit is locked
3) Export a master that matches the preview setup
4) Use that master in Media Encoder to export any other deliverables you need

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Eric BuistRe: Stupidly slow exports
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 7:02:26 pm

I would guess your issue is with Neat Video. It is a pretty heavy plugin that really increased my export time when I started using it.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Stupidly slow exports
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 8:27:44 pm

If you are using a VIDEO DENOISER, those are notoriously slow. Just for giggles, remove/disable the Neat Video effect. How long does it take then? That will be the benchmark, without heavy effects.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2015 at 8:32:41 pm

Guys, while there is no doubt that Neat is a hog, the problem he's encountering is that he's re-rendering it while exporting. The way I mentioned, he renders it one time, and not during the export, which is when all system resources are encoding to another format and rendering Neat at the same time.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2015 at 8:34:52 pm

David,

Would the cumulative render times not add up to be the same in the end though? Have not tried your method.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:17:48 pm

Definitely not Jeff... He has to render at least once, that's a given... But, if he also renders every time he needs to spit out a different deliverable, he's not only rendering more than once, he's doing it at the time Premiere's resources are all involved with multitasking while simultaneously encoding to a new format

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Will ChamberlinRe: Stupidly slow exports
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:26:55 pm

Thanks for the help guys. So I'm guessing ProRes 422 would be my ideal codec for edit? Can I set this as a default for all future projects?

If I do the following:
- set the sequence settings as ProRes
- render the whole thing
- export as ProRes 422
- then encode in compressor/Adobe equivalent

That should speed me up?

I'll also try a run without neatvideo, this one is 3 mins, the others are part of a conference and up to an hour per sequence, no chance I'm waiting for that to encode if it's this slow!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2015 at 10:09:43 pm

[Will Chamberlin] " set the sequence settings as ProRes"

In the Premiere Sequence Settings most go wrong because they forget to set the "Video Previews" setting - it's even more important than setting the "Editing Mode," because the Video Preview that is set automatically when you select Editing Mode is invariably just wrong

[Will Chamberlin] "I'll also try a run without neatvideo, this one is 3 mins, the others are part of a conference and up to an hour per sequence, no chance I'm waiting for that to encode if it's this slow!"

Remember Will, it's not the encode that's slowing you down with Neat, it's the render, which you've been doing while simultaneously encoding. Just rendering the entire timeline with Neat will not be fast, but it won;t be even close to what you were doing before.

Once rendered, exporting at the same exact specs will go very fast... And, taking that master into AME and spitting out a deliverable will also go fast.

This ALL works because every step is optimized... Before you were de-optimizing at every step.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:41:08 pm

David,

You are absolutely correct, if he needs multiple deliverables. If this is a one-off, such as making an MPEG-2 for DVD and done with project, then render once

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:55:55 pm

Even then Jeff, it's an efficient workflow that I think every editor should adopt, as reinventing the wheel every time opens the door to all kinds of things. How many of us have gone back to that archived project we just know is all ready to to go for whatever last minute client request we get at 5:30pm on Friday, only to find something has changed or gone missing?

Exporting a master of every project, and keeping them in all one place (okay, with a backup, at least two places), is simply one of those things we should all think of as "best practices."

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]