ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob PierceNew 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:56:25 pm

Maybe I should have known better, but I have to admit I'm shocked. My new iMac 5k is El Crapitan OS only. No Yosemite allowed, which of course means no Adobe pro apps either. Seriously. It won't run the OS that was current just a few months ago. Sheesh.

Just in case anyone else out there was looking at these new machines.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:07:49 pm

Any computers made AFTER an Apple OS update will only have that update, and not be able to work under the previous one. Which is why I try to buy machines that can run currently supported OS versions.

Hopefully an update from Adobe will drop sooon.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:38:18 pm

FWIW my Adobe apps seem to be running fine on the latest El Cap

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:12:34 pm

[Steve Connor] "FWIW my Adobe apps seem to be running fine on the latest El Cap"

Here too...

Bob,

Just because Adobe is not recommending El Capitan at this moment in time, installing it on your new imac is NOT going to cause it to blowup or melt down. In fact, one of the great features of the Creative Cloud concept is the ability to try any Adobe CC 2014 or 2015 app and then completely blow it away if you'd like.

What exactly is your fear?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob PierceRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Oct 29, 2015 at 1:15:53 am

David, are you running professional jobs under el capitan? If so, that's great news. I'm fully aware that my computer won't blow up (I've probably worked in this business as long as you). I'm just trying to get to a stable system I can work with, and the fact that this new system won't run Yosemite makes that less likely. Perhaps not, I shall see.
Bob

Return to posts index

Douglas MorseRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Nov 6, 2015 at 7:37:05 pm

The new iMacs (I have one) use Skylake chips, new chipsets, and updated AMD graphics cards. These drivers aren't present in pre-El Capitain Code. However, the latest El Cap update does fix the most egregious errors with premiere pro. I just sunk and slammed down a rough cut of a 45 minute 4K piece in the past 2 weeks.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2015 at 2:53:05 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input. In the little bit of testing I've been able to do it does seem relatively stable.

The issue I'm having now is that this new machine seems to perform barely better than my 3 year old iMac (late 2012). In rendering previews in Premiere and compositions in after effects the render time is only about 15% better. Not a great improvement after investing over $4K.

I'll need to spend some time this weekend to compare real time playback. If it's not significantly better this machine is going back to apple.

The impetus to upgrade came from having problems playing back Sony XAVC footage on my broadcast monitor (via an Aja IoXT). Someone at Aja suggested that perhaps the iMac's processor couldn't handle this codec. So far I've seen no improvement with this new machine.

The screen is nice though.
Bob

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Nov 7, 2015 at 3:31:46 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Nov 7, 2015 at 3:35:40 pm

Bob,

There is a problem under the hood of Premiere with the XAVCi codec - as best it was explained to me, a Premiere needs to be "optimized" for many, if not all, new codecs, and XAVCi hasn't received the treatment yet.

Not that it really matters, because until it's optimized you can throw hardware at it all day long and XAVCi is simply not going to perform well, and you'll only get a very limited numbers of streams to playback, and probably at only 1/4 res too, but you didn't mention any details about the new iMac you purchased, nor did you mention any details of your media drive(s) or RAID array. It's tough to provide help here without specific details.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: New 2015 iMac will not run Yosemite
by on Nov 7, 2015 at 6:15:54 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "There is a problem under the hood of Premiere with the XAVCi codec - as best it was explained to me, a Premiere needs to be "optimized" for many, if not all, new codecs, and XAVCi hasn't received the treatment yet.
"

I haven't been impressed with XAVC performance in PPro at all, even though FCPX takes time to "unwrap" the footage, performance is significantly better with it on my system.

I hope this is fixed soon!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 13, 2015 at 5:45:53 pm

Yes, XAVC is no fun with Premiere. I struggled with it for a while but gave up on this new iMac.

If anyone's interested, here's what I was dealing with:

New machine:
2015 5k iMac, 4ghz Skylake, 48gb Ram, 385X gpu

Old Machine:
Late 2012 iMac, 3.4ghz, 32 gb Ram, 680MX gpu

In my tests, render times on the new machine were about 10 - 15% faster. Dropped frames during playback were greatly improved on the new machine, though with badly stuttering audio. This stuttering is present with and without mercury transmit. I'm sure in time updates from Apple, Aja and/or Adobe will improve things but for now I'm sticking with Yosemite.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]