ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsHow do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:41:36 pm

Hi,

At home I have a z24 HP dreamcolor that I can output HD video to with my black magic mini monitor.

I have a situation at work, where I have to hook a monitor up to my macbook pro with an HDMI cable. I can't bring my monitor in to the office. Also, the thing I dislike about the black magic card it that it cuts out my audio, which I definitely need in this case.

Once I hook the monitor up at work, I only can use it as a second monitor (meaning it's a continuation of my desktop). I don't know how to use it as a client monitor for sending video to. Does anyone know if this is possible? It's really just to judge an edit. The only thing I could think of was detaching the canvas monitor (or whatever it's called in Premiere) and putting it on the other monitor. However, that looks a bit unprofessional and the playback isn't great.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Stephen AbbottRe: How do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:24:08 pm

Hi,

You can run a fullscreen playback in two ways:

1) Using Mercury Transmit. Plug in the screen, then hit Preferences > Playback > Enable Mercury Transmit, and select the monitor.

2) Using Toggle Full Screen command. I recently discovered this command, and it's one better than the tilde ( ~ or ` ) key that maximises any window you're hovering over. Hit Ctrl-Tilde and whatever screen that has the Program viewer will full the screen. Esc or Ctrl-Tilde gets you back out. Less controls than Mercury Transmit, but neat in a pinch (and can be used in conjunction with Mercury Transmit).

Not sure of the PC shortcuts, but you're on a Mac and it should be easy to look up.

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: How do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:47:46 pm

Thanks!

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:23:44 pm

[Scott Clements] "Also, the thing I dislike about the black magic card it that it cuts out my audio, which I definitely need in this case."

How's your audio hardware set up? Also you'll need to set the audio device in the playback settings to something other than the Blackmagic output.

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: How do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?
by on Nov 6, 2015 at 5:46:52 pm

Hi, Tero.

My blackmagic setup isn't applicable here at work, where it's just an HDMI from my macbook to a cheap computer monitor (it's a temporary setup).

I can use the Mercury Transmit to get full screen on the the second monitor, but there are other steps involved - mainly setting up the resolution of the second monitor in the displays settings of the system preferences on mac OS. Once I go through all this, I can get Premiere to display on the second monitor, but sometimes it goes away and I have to try the steps repeatedly to get it back. It's very fiddly. Not sure why I lose the image and not really sure why it comes back after a random number of reattempts.

"Toggle Full Screen" only gets me full screen playback on the laptop, not the second monitor.

My Black Magic output is at home only. It's macbook to black magic mini monitor (via Thunderbolt) and then HDMI into my HP Dreamcolor. Apparently there's a way of sending sound out of the Dreamcolor if you get some special cables, but I haven't dug deep into that.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Stephen AbbottRe: How do you play fullscreen on a client monitor, hooked up to a Macbook via HDMI?
by on Nov 7, 2015 at 2:25:17 pm

Hi Scott,

This sounds like two separate problems:

1) Display inconsistency at the hardware or OS level:

It's hard to know what's going on without a step-by-step description of the problem and fix. What happens when you "lose the image"—is this just for Premiere or for the entire Mac? What steps do you have to reattempt a random number of times—and what are the failed and successful outcomes for these steps?

My experience of Mercury Transmit is that it's rather tolerant of resolution changes and display disconnections—all it usually requires is a trip back to preferences and it's working again.

2) Premiere full-screen playback:

From my tests it appears that toggle full screen only activates for the screen that is displaying the program monitor. Does Premiere insist on sending the toggled full-screen playback to your laptop screen, even when the program monitor is moved to the external/HDMI display?

3) Blackmagic and Premiere:
I haven't used Blackmagic devices with Premiere, so can't comment on that separate problem...

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:33:43 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks! Sorry for the delay. Here is the step by step of what I have been doing:

1. I hook the monitor up to my mac book via HDMI

2. I go to "system preferences" and go to "displays". Then, I click on "display" tab - for resolution, I select "scaled" and choose 1920x1080.

3. Then, in Premiere, I go "preferences" > "Playback" and check "Enable Mercury Transmit". I then check "Adobe Monitor 2: 1920x1080"

Then, when I watch stuff in the timeline,most of the time it plays back on the 2nd monitor. But, sometimes, when I leave Premiere and come back, the image is gone. I then go through the steps again and it doesn't bring the image back. Then I do it again - sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. Then, I try it a few more times....then, I do some bit of magic that I don't understand and then it comes back. However, this is unacceptable when it happens with the director there.

When I "lose" the image, I am just losing Premiere's playback on the second monitor. I can still see the OS desktop on the second monitor.

When toggled to full-screen Premiere will playback to the second monitor, when Premiere's program monitor is moved to the external/HDMI display. Actually, this may be a fix. I was trying to have the program monitor within the interface on my macbook display and play out to the second monitor, but this is proving unreliable and perhaps it doesn't need to be there.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2015 at 6:25:20 am

Hi Scott,

Hmm, that does sound strange. Do you have to reconnect the display itself before you can re-enable Mercury Transmit?

Things to try with Mercury Transmit:

1) You can assign a shortcut to toggle Mercury Transmit, which may make your 'poking' a little less click-intensive.

2) In Mercury Transmit, you can enable 'visible in background' (or whatever it's called) to leave the fullscreen playback on even when Premiere is not the foreground application. As I recall, I think hiding Premiere with Command-H will hide the fullscreen, too, but Command-Tabbing to a different application will not. That may help cut down the times your playback fails.

Things for full-screen playback:

3) If that works, then go for it! I've found it a bit less stable than Mercury Transmit, but I still use it a lot. Have a dig around the menus and see what secondary viewers you can put on your laptop screen—I don't think there's a way to create two program viewers, but you might get close...

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2015 at 8:37:58 am

Thanks, Stephen! I ended up hauling my HP Dream Color into the office, after discovering I could get sound coming out of my computer at the same time in Premiere (unlike with Avid and FCP). It was a pain transporting it, but it's stabile.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]