ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Getting Premier audio out to follow Mac audio out

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven PineGetting Premier audio out to follow Mac audio out
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 7:36:58 pm

Often I need to listen to P through headphones. I am on a 2013 Mac Pro running El Cap. In order to listen to audio through headphones on my PP CC2015 Timeline I need to change the Audio settings from within PP. I would like to just be able to do this by switching my Mac output to headphones. Otherwise to listen to all audio-from Mac and PP- through a single output I have to switch both. Is there a way to get PP to follow the Mac's settings. (FCP did this so well as do all other apps on my system.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Getting Premier audio out to follow Mac audio out
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:32:02 pm

File a feature request/bug report here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

I've heard complaints about this in environments where you have to switch speaker outputs back in forth, like editing in cube farms (which honestly should be outlawed). Sorry for the frustration, but I think you'll have to deal with the issue in an alternative way than what you're used to.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steven PineRe: Getting Premier audio out to follow Mac audio out
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36:02 pm

Kevin,
Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that Adobe does not allow PP CC2015 to follow the lead of the systems settings? I just am trying to understand the somewhat non-straightforward answer you gave. By writing, "...I think you'll have to deal with the issue in an alternative way than what you're used to." seems to be making the problem about the user and not the software. Also, your comment about cube farms seems like another attempt at not getting straight to the point and again, somehow laying blame on the environment and not the software. I edit in my home office and sometimes I need to go to headphones for short periods of time while my wife is working. So I really don't appreciate all the pre-judging. I would however appreciate a straight forward answer to my question and an answer as to why Adobe feels it knows best how people will use their sw, and to why they created a product that seems to not do something that every other NLE or audio program I have used does, which is, follow the output of the system one is working on.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Matt GaluszewskiRe: Getting Premier audio out to follow Mac audio out
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 12:48:25 am

Hi Steven,

I'm on a 27" Retina iMac 2014 model. Yes, I know your hardware is different but for what it's worth;

I listen to PP CC2015 playback through the built in output. That is Premiere Pro, Audio Hardware, Default Output set to 'Built-in Output' on my system.

I hear playback through the iMac speakers with the Mac system preferences sound output showing 'Internal Speakers'. When I plug my headphones in (so I don't disturb my partner) the system preferences sound output shows 'Headphones' and I now hear playback through my headphones.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 3:54:22 am

Matt,
Thanks. And you are right. That is how it works when you are on hardware that only has a headphone jack (not a headphone jack and external speaker Jack). It works this way on my Macbook Pro as well because there is only a headphone jack.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:54:25 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:55:49 pm

Hello Steven,

[Steven Pine] "y writing, "...I think you'll have to deal with the issue in an alternative way than what you're used to." seems to be making the problem about the user and not the software. "

Perhaps I'm just not understanding the issue you're facing. I'm still on OS X 10.10. When I unplug my headphones, audio comes out of my MacBook Pro speakers. Plug my headphones back in, and the audio plays there. If that's not what you're experiencing, sorry.

You indicate that you have to change something within Premiere Pro in order to do the same. I don't have to do that, so I assume it might be related to OS X 10.11, which is not yet supported for Premiere Pro. That's why I suggested filing a bug.

I suggest an alternative way to deal with audio routing, however, not sure what that might be since I don't have the issue. I have heard others complain about audio routing since the 9.0 update on Windows, but not so much on Mac. It appears to be a growing issue and one I'll keep an eye on. Thanks for alerting me.

Sorry again if I didn't understand your issue fully or give you the info you wanted.

[Steven Pine] "your comment about cube farms seems like another attempt at not getting straight to the point and again, somehow laying blame on the environment and not the software."

Sorry if my opinion on cube farms was unrelated and unwarranted.

[Steven Pine] " I would however appreciate a straight forward answer to my question and an answer as to why Adobe feels it knows best how people will use their sw, and to why they created a product that seems to not do something that every other NLE or audio program I have used does, which is, follow the output of the system one is working on."

It appears that Matt has similar behavior to yours that I don't experience. In "Built in Output" for Audio Hardware Preferences I can switch between my Mac speakers and Headphones at will without changing any preferences.

Please file a bug and we can hopefully get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 4, 2015 at 2:03:47 am

Thanks guys, but there is a big difference between Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro. The MBP does auto switch when headphones are plugged in or unplugged. As I pointed out in my reply to Matt, this is not the case with Mac Pros. So again, I am looking for someone who can help with this issue who uses a MacPro which does not auto with between internal Speakers and headphones because there are no internal speakers, only headphone out and speaker out.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:55:01 am

Seems like a bug with either OS X or Premiere Pro. File one with us here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

In my case (MBP), Built in Output switches the output devices automatically, prefs are not switched to Headphones.

In Matt's case (iMac), it switches prefs to Headphones automatically.

In your case, you have to switch it manually. Weird.

I wonder if you have a mixer hooked up you would have more flexibility in switching your outputs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]