ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

El Capitan up and running - but you had best clone first

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth WeissEl Capitan up and running - but you had best clone first
by on Oct 26, 2015 at 10:49:53 pm

For those of you chomping at the bit to update/upgrade to El Capitan, I have successfully updated my 2008 Mac Pro 8-core to El Capitan (not the usual clean install I typically recommend, as this was just a test), and I now have both CC 2015 and even FCP 7 running. However, I first cloned my working boot drive to another partition, using Carbon Copy Cloner, before doing the update.

So far, everything appears to working just fine, but please, don't take my word for it and make the move without first cloning. In fact, as I've written here and on the FCP Legacy Forum, NEVER update or upgrade without first cloning your working boot drive.

FYI, in the essence of full disclosure, as I mentioned above, I installed the El Capitan upgrade to one of several partitions on a hard drive with multiple bootable partitions, and I have experienced some intermittent issues booting to that partition, which sometimes requires a manual shutdown and a 2nd attempt to boot. I have seen that identical issue before with multiple boot partitions, so it's likely not an issue with El Capitan.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: El Capitan up and running - but you had best clone first
by on Oct 26, 2015 at 11:26:16 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Oct 27, 2015 at 3:29:58 pm

Good input David - also be aware that the new "locked out" folders in 10.11 include /bin, /sbin, /etc, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /private/root, /System, and /dev. If you or one of your tools has placed anything into any of those locations, the change / addition will be deleted with no warning or explanation. Things will just stop working.

My recommendation to all - if you don't have a really, really, really compelling reason to update to 10.11, DON'T.

If you MUST, and you use BRU Producer's Edition, make sure that you upgrade to the latest version (3.1.15 build 203 at this time) to insure El Capitan compatibility. Also, if you're running ATTO HBAs, be sure to update your drivers and firmware from the attotech.com site as Apple is still downgrading the drivers.

HPT users are okay with the current drivers.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: El Capitan up and running - but you had best clone first
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:33:19 pm

If you have not updated, we are still not recommending it: http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2015/10/premiere-pro-cc-and-mac-os-x-10-...

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]