ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Arri Alexa Mini + Premiere CC 2015 (Crashing)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raja VirdiArri Alexa Mini + Premiere CC 2015 (Crashing)
by on Oct 23, 2015 at 11:22:36 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a question regarding some Arri Alexa Mini footage I'm editing in Premiere Pro CC 2015. Latest update of Premiere too.

I shot a music video using the camera in ProRes 4444 at 4K resolution. When importing the footage into Premiere, playback is absolutely awful. The footage is somehow crashing my Mac, slows down, jitters. Not sure why. I'm also playing in the lowest quality possible. Even tried editing on a 1080 timeline and still the same problem occurs.

Such a shame as the footage does look great, but it's literally impossible to edit without Premiere going haywire.

It certainly isn't a computer power issue as I have the new 6 core Mac Pro. Using any other 4K footage from my FS7 or from R3D files works a treat.

I am editing from my USB 3.0 Seagate hard drive, but again I've edited 4K footage off of it before without any problems.

I've never edited Arri footage before, but seeing as it's ProRes, I would hope it would work natively in Premiere.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Raja

Return to posts index

Jon FrostRe: Arri Alexa Mini + Premiere CC 2015 (Crashing)
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 11:44:18 pm

Check out this link from Overblog:

ALEXA Mini 4K Workflow with Premiere Pro CC/CS6/CS5/CS4 - May 29 2015

"New to ALEXA Mini and plan to transfer ALEXA Mini 4K recordings into Premiere for editing. But the result is not so well. Premiere refused to accept these videos. Does Premiere support 4K videos?"

The ALEXA Mini can record in several codecs including ProRes 4444XQ, 4444, 422 (HQ), 422, 422(LT).While all those codecs are not accepted by Premiere natively. If you intend to work with ALEXA Mini recordings in Premiere, you may need to find an ideal tool to convert ALEXA Mini 4K footage to MPEG-2 for a fast and fluid workflow.

Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac is the best solution I have found. It is a professional 4K video convert for Premiere that can transcode a format work well with high quality preserved. Moreover, it offers some native codecs for other NLEs including AIC for iMovie, Apple ProRes for FCP, DNxHD for Avid and more. If you are a PC user and eager to open ALEXA Mini 4K ProRes in Premiere, pls turn to Brorsoft Video Converter Windows version. Now, download the software on computer and follow the guide below to start conversion.

Good luck,

Jon Frost
Easthampton MA

Return to posts index

Veronica BuhagiarRe: Arri Alexa Mini + Premiere CC 2015 (Crashing)
by on May 5, 2016 at 8:18:55 am

I am having the same problem! Have been working with Alexa Mini footage prores 4444 and although premiere can ingest it, it is so laggy to playback and work with. Have you found any thing that helps? So far creating proxies seems to be the only solution, but was hoping to be able to skip this step as premiere can work natively with prores.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]