ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

re: setting up a project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Mascarare: setting up a project
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 11:15:51 pm

Dear Forum,
Excuse me for this vey basic question. I am now switching from FCP 7 to Premiere Pro, finally, and would like one of you pros to point me to 'best practices' for setting up a new project for feature length documentaries.

I see that Premier Pro stores all media inside the project files. Should media be filed separately from this? Also, what is the best way to import media - Media encoder or Prelude. This process seemed so much easier in FCP 7 and I am confused by the process.

Any suggestions on tutorials or books? I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. The editing part does not worry me as much as setting up the work-flow.

Thanks everyone!

Tina

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: re: setting up a project
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 11:48:28 pm

[Tina Mascara] "I see that Premier Pro stores all media inside the project files."

Not the media...all the clips. Premiere Pro works just like FCP in this way...one project file with everything. Unlike Avid that has multiple files and folders for one project. All the bins and CLIPS are stored in the project...no media is.

[Tina Mascara] "Should media be filed separately from this?"

It is separate. Just like FCP, all media is stored where you put it...and then when you import, you make clips that point to the media where it exists. But, what differs is that, if you used LOG AND TRANSFER in FCP, it converted the camera masters to editable media, and put it onto the CAPTURE SCRATCH drive you set up. Premiere Pro doesn't do that...because no converting happens. PPro always just points to the media...it doesn't convert nor move anything. And no MEDIA exists in the project... only the clips that point to the media.

[Tina Mascara] "Also, what is the best way to import media - Media encoder or Prelude."

Neither. MEDIA BROWSER. In the main Premiere Pro project...lower left hand side. Bring in the clips native. Now, there is some footage that is still not all that editable natively, on some systems. So for that you can convert to ProRes or DNxHD via Prelude, or Media Encoder. But most of the time, no conversion is needed.

[Tina Mascara] "This process seemed so much easier in FCP 7 and I am confused by the process."

Yeah, it's actually a LOT easier in Premiere, as you don't transcode anything. Well, ALMOST anything. Some H.264 and some AVCHD formats still are a pain to try to edit native.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tina MascaraRe: re: setting up a project
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 2:42:07 pm

Thank you, Shane. That was very helpful!

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: re: setting up a project
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 3:34:06 pm
Last Edited By Jon Doughtie on Oct 22, 2015 at 3:35:36 pm

Here's a general idea of what I do. If you like it, you might wish to modify it for long-form. I am cutting mostly short-form.

I created a "-Project Template" folder set in the location where my projects and media go. The dash at the beginning of the folder name keeps it at the top of the folder list for easy locating.

I have a standard set of folders under that, which I sometimes customize depending on the project. I place all my media in this folder set as well. That way, when it is time to back it up or take it offline, I am just moving a single folder, and it all goes together.

This, combined with my preference settings in Premiere Pro and After Effects, make it a "piece of cake" for me. For example, the project file goes into the Premiere Pro folder. All Audition work in the Audition folder, etc. Imports folder handles anything being brought in externally, with subfolders for media files, etc.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: re: setting up a project
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 3:42:22 pm

Hi Jon,

Do you Application labelled folders hold project files or project files and media created by those applications?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]