ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

El Capitan and Adobe Apps

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve ConnorEl Capitan and Adobe Apps
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:10:49 pm

I note there is an update to OS X El Capitan today, will this speed up validation of el Capitan with Premier Pro?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: El Capitan and Adobe Apps
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:32:02 pm

Hey Steve, why don't you clone your working boot drive and update to El Capitan, then you can text safely and tell us of your results.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: El Capitan and Adobe Apps
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:36:57 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Hey Steve, why don't you clone your working boot drive and update to El Capitan, then you can text safely and tell us of your results."

When the good people at Adobe say I can :)

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: El Capitan and Adobe Apps
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 5:55:04 pm

On Twitter I've seen some people say the update fixes some problems with PPro but I haven't heard anything from Adobe.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: El Capitan and Adobe Apps
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:41:36 pm

Don't update yet is still the word.

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:51:46 pm

Thanks for keeping us posted with the latest news Kevin. I'll bet those folks on the other "A" forums wish their manufacturers rep would keep tabs on their welfare. :)

BTW, while I'm certainly no expert on the "underpinnings" of OS X , El Capitan doesn't seem like such a huge update to me. So, anyone willing to risk their business by upgrading without making a protection clone first, is not making very wise business decision.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 8:00:08 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Don't update yet is still the word.
"

Any more detail on that please, if you are still saying that after the first point update to El Cap then there must be a real problem!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:33:37 am

[Steve Connor] "Any more detail on that please, if you are still saying that after the first point update to El Cap then there must be a real problem!
"

The big question is why would a professional editor sucessfuily editing away on a perfectly running Mac need to update to El Capitan?

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 5:39:54 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "The big question is why would a professional editor sucessfuily editing away on a perfectly running Mac need to update to El Capitan?"

Because, despite the bugs, it seems to be noticeably faster in operation than Yosemite. I've got it on a test partition and so far it's very good.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 6:17:27 pm

It certainly boots faster Steve... I'll grant you that.

However, the question I raised is based upon "cost-benefit analysis," which is really the basis of many, if not most, of my posts here on The Cow.

In this case, whatever the advantage may be of updating the OS, if it is known that it can potentially put an editor's fundamental source of revenue at risk, any user considering the upgrade/update, especially without making a protection clone first, is clearly NOT weighing the costs vs the benefits. And, a mistake can be a sure way to lose clients, and in some cases, potentially a career.

Since managing post-production is every bit as important for professional editors as performing their craft, and since I see that often overlooked here, I raise the question about the importance of upgrading the OS to get people thinking as if they're managing a real business, because most are. And, because good and bad habits tend to follow editors throughout their careers, learning to think like a business/facility manager or a post-supervisor, and at least knowing (and hopefully adopting) "best practices," is something of enormous value for editors at every level. I suspect you most likely agree with me, but by all means, please respond if you don't.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 6:24:24 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "In this case, whatever the advantage may be of updating the OS, if it is known that it can potentially put an editor's fundamental source of revenue at risk, any user considering the upgrade/update, especially without making a protection clone first, is clearly NOT weighing the costs vs the benefits. And, a mistake can be a sure way to lose clients, and in some cases, potentially a career.

Since managing post-production is every bit as important for professional editors as performing their craft, and since I see that often overlooked here, I raise the question about the importance of upgrading the OS to get people thinking as if they're managing a real business, because most are. And, because good and bad habits tend to follow editors throughout their careers, learning to think like a business/facility manager or a post-supervisor, and at least knowing (and hopefully adopting) "best practices," is something of enormous value for editors at every level. I suspect you most likely agree with me, but by all means, please respond if you don't.
"

I agree with all of this, of course. I just want to know when I can make the Professional decision to upgrade to an OS that will potentially, when it's stable, improve my daily working experience.

I've only ever been bitten by a Mac OS upgrade once and I don't plan to do it again.

Return to posts index

Andrew JohnstoneRe: El Capitan and Adobe Apps
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 5:19:29 pm

My general rule of thumb has been 'don't volunteer to be the guinea pig' when it comes to software updates!

I am still running Mountain Lion with no issues on CS6 (PP, PS, LR, AI, AU etc) and I am also heavily reliant on FCP7, so the need to upgrade my OS is not pressing.

However, I have been sniffing about at Logic Pro X for some music projects and so I am tempted to break my own rule, since current Apple apps do not seem to be compatible with older OS X versions. This in itself is deeply annoying...!

I'd be interested to hear any positive El Cap experiences from heavy CS6/FCP 7 users though....

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]