ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Playback jerky even after rendering

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim TaylorPlayback jerky even after rendering
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 3:20:05 pm

Hi there
I'm cutting a basic music video of about 8 different camera angles angles. They play back more or less fine individually, however once I start overlaying them on top of each other things get very slow and jerky.

I always thought the solution to this would be to render the section I want to see, however if I do this it still plays back jerky. What's more, the yellow line that sits above the timeline doesn't turn green as I always remembered it doing so after rendering. Is it working correctly?

How can I render properly or achieve smoother playback?

I am running a Macbook Pro, 4-core. 16GB memory. Premiere Pro CC 2015. Internal SSD.
Footage is HD ProRes 4444 from an Amira, source folder is on an external G Drive connected with FireWire.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Playback jerky even after rendering
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 3:32:25 pm

Hi....

[Kim Taylor] "however once I start overlaying them on top of each other things get very slow and jerky"

does this mean in the multicam viewer?

What is you playback resolution set to in you Program Monitor (in the wrench menu in the monitor). You may need to lower it a bit.

If you still can't get there....

you can use the "render and replace" workflow to make a lower data rate proxy in line with your sources to cut with then switch the clips back to the full res for final out...

that help?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Kim TaylorRe: Playback jerky even after rendering
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:01:53 pm

Thanks for your help!
No I'm not using multicam view, just a normal sequence. I set my playback res to 1/4 and it's still jerky.
I find that the only way I can passably do it is to make sure that only one enabled clip is playing at any one time (it seems that premiere is trying to read every stacked clip that's enabled even if it's under another clip).

I would have thought that as all the clips are unaffected ProRes they should play back smoothly but they don't :(

The render and replace workflow seems interesting, I suppose what I really want to do is to do this from the project bin fine browser, so I don't have to move all my new clips to the timeline before creating a proxy of it. I will investigate more. Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Playback jerky even after rendering
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:10:20 pm

ProRes files? The more files you play, the faster the drive you play them from needs to be. USB3/FW800 might be able to handle 2-3 streams...beyond that you need 2-4 drives in a RAID, and with a FAST connection, like Thunderbolt. Lowering the quality isn't the issue, as much as trying to play back multiple high quality files at once.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:11:47 pm
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:12:59 pm

Yes...

Premiere will read the whole stack...even if you can't see below....it assumes you are comping or layering them in some way.

you could split the clips below and right click "disable" them during the periods they aren't exposed...

that should turn the reading off...(I think)

ProRes is efficient...but 4444? that's pretty rich data still...and it sounds like you are accounting for an alpha channel you aren't even using with that codec (the last 4 in 4444 RGB A)...

is 4444 really necessary for your work? maybe 422 is a fine choice for quality?

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:21:43 pm

Hi Alex, thanks again. I think I've figured out what it is...

The clips imported into Premiere had a LUT attached, so each master clip contained a Lumetri Color (AMIRA LUT). I've not seen this before but this is the first time I've worked with Amira. I can only assume that Lumetri must be quite a processor heavy effect, and so stacking up lots of them will slow it down.

Now i've taken them all off and added a single LUT on top as an adjustment layer. Hallelujah it plays back near perfectly!

And yes, 4444 does seem like overkill although I'm doing some green screen stuff with these and needed the extra bit depth.

Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:30:45 pm

Cool....

last question....is your mercury playback hardware or software?

(project settings)

thanks!

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:35:21 pm

Mercury playback appears to be on! (OpenCL)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]