ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Stereo audio in Adobe Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt AshStereo audio in Adobe Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:29:51 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to keep stereo tracks that I import into Premiere from taking up two channels on my timeline. My workflow so far has been to right-click on the track, select Modify audio channels, the change the number of audio clips from 2 to 1. I'm not sure if I'm doing that correctly, as I'm worried its modifying a stereo track into a mono track. I still want it to be a stereo track, but take up only one channel on my timeline. I've seen some tutorials where the audio just goes to the timeline that way, which leads me to believe its a sequence setting that I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Eli CooganRe: Stereo audio in Adobe Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:06:24 pm

Go to Preferences > Audio and check the "Default Audio Tracks" settings. Make sure that "Stereo Media" is set to "Use File" or "Stereo".

Some files do come in differently than expected, and that is unfortunate, but other than changing those "Default Audio Tracks" settings, doing it your Modify Audio Channels method isn't too terrible...

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Curt AshRe: Stereo audio in Adobe Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:24:02 pm

Oh man, that is awesome. Thanks!

Now, a second question: Can I do the same thing with a WAV file that has multiple tracks on it? For example, a lot of our scripted stuff has two booms and then lavs for each character. Right now, each of those channels gets its own track in my timeline. Sometimes those files take up 6-8 tracks and its a pain to try and keep all them in track. Is there a way to make that WAV file fill one audio channel instead of 6-8? I tried selecting "use track" for multichannel mono media in my preferences, but that didn't seem to do it. Ideally it would be like how 5.1 is handled. That is really slick having it all in one channel.

Return to posts index

Eli CooganRe: Stereo audio in Adobe Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:38:15 pm

I don't know of a way of doing that, other than converting the file to stereo in Encoder (or an audio editing app) before bringing it to Premiere...

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Stereo audio in Adobe Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 8:01:24 pm

I just did some tinkering....

if you make a new sequence

go to the settings tab in the New Sequence window...

change audio master from stereo to "multichannel"

then it appears that you can put all your audio channels in there

when you use that as a nested clip on another sequence....

the multi-channel audio will be nested within one clip container in another sequence (although delegated to it's own a multichannel track) if you double click it....it works like any other nested item...you step in and can make mods....

maybe that will help you...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]