ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere CC15 Constant Freezing, Requires Full Restart

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli CooganPremiere CC15 Constant Freezing, Requires Full Restart
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 3:12:59 pm

Hello all,

Since Premiere CC14 and on (now updated to most recent CC15), I've had a continuous problem of frequent freezes and crashes. Usually it's when I scrub the timeline, the Program monitor will freeze on a frame and then everything else locks up. Waiting doesn't help, so I have to force quit the program. After that, when I try to reopen Premiere, more often than not, it bounces in the dock forever and can not be reopened until a full computer restart.

Not sure what causes this, but here are some details about my system:

OS X Yosemite, Versions 10.10.5
Processor: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 60 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

The crashes seem to happen regardless of which Premiere Renderer is selected (though normally I use CUDA).

As for project specs, it seems to happen with every project regardless of the video format I'm using. I've had it happen with MXF files, Quicktimes and MP4s. I've done some light experimenting with different codecs to test for more stability, but hey, I thought one of Premiere's specialty was supposedly being able to handle multiple formats?

If anyone has any suggestions to stop the constant freezing and crashing, I'd greatly appreciate it! Really hope that I'm being stupid and overlooking some obvious workflow fix and that Premiere isn't supposed to be this wonky.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Premiere CC15 Constant Freezing, Requires Full Restart
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:01:39 pm

Hi Eli,
Check your Adobe folder permissions: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

I thought one of Premiere's specialty was supposedly being able to handle multiple formats?

I don't think it's a bad idea to transcode Long GOP formats, especially if you've got a computer that may not be very powerful or your current workflow has too many problems.

Be wary of CUDA processing, in fact, OpenCL is more stable. Running GPU intensive programs at the same time as Premiere Pro can be problematic. Spotify and Chrome are examples of apps you need to keep closed.

Best of luck,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Eli CooganRe: Premiere CC15 Constant Freezing, Requires Full Restart
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:14:53 pm

Thanks, Kevin!

I did come across that permissions fix while researching this problem, but sadly to say, it didn't correct it!

Thank you for the OpenCL tip, I'll have to run with that from now on. Also, I didn't know about Chrome being problematic--as Chrome and Premiere are typically the only two apps I have open (whoops!).

As for the codecs and file type, producers tend to hand me rough cuts to finalize with out much time to transcode anything... So I may have to come back to that problem, if I really can't keep Premiere open.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]