ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

AE Dynamic Link Clips do not play back in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt AshAE Dynamic Link Clips do not play back in Premiere
by on Oct 19, 2015 at 8:41:54 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm editing a show in Adobe Premiere and I'm starting to play around with Dynamic Link. I have a few shots that I need to add camera shake to. So I right clicked on them and selected "replace with after effects comp". In after effects, I added the wiggle effect and then saved. Back in Premiere, I now have a dynamically linked clip. When I play it back, it just simply freezes when it gets to the clip. If I try to render the clip it ends up saying it will take 2 hrs to render (for a 3 second clip), and then when I try and cancel the render, Premiere crashes. I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. This dynamic link feature could really speed things up for me, but its causing me all kinds of grief right now. Here are my specs:

Premiere CC 2015 (9.0.2 (6) Build
OS X 10.9.5
iMac 3.5 Ghz I7 Processor
32GB RAM
4 GB NVIDIA Genforce GTX 780M
Media is stored on a 4TB OWC USB 3.0 Drive
I'm Editing ProResLT media in a sequence that has been customized for ProResLT

Thanks in advance for your help!

Curt Ash
Senior Editor
Committee Films
Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpineRe: AE Dynamic Link Clips do not play back in Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 3:17:42 pm

I struggle a lot with Dynamic Link having these types of issues so I typically will export a lossless AVI from AE and bring that into my project.

My conclusion is Adobe is just clunky so you have to work around the quirks. Hopefully somebody else has a better answer but I doubt it..

Nathan McAlpine
Commercial Producer

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: AE Dynamic Link Clips do not play back in Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 3:31:54 pm

Since you've already made the comps....

try this...

Do the render in AE and attach it to the comp as a proxy.

Now in PPro, the linked comp is still related to AE so you CAN go there and make changes, BUT.....it's dealing with rendered DATA and not live unrendered data.

So you might have to do a timeline render in Ppro for smoothest playback...but it should be pretty painless...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Curt AshRe: AE Dynamic Link Clips do not play back in Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 4:45:01 pm

Thanks Nathan and Alex. I've been monkeying around and discovered a couple things. I spent some time with the very helpful Adobe Support people who remoted into my iMac and removed a plug-in related to my blackmagic intensity extreme box that I use for monitoring. Removing those plugins helped. I could render the dynamic link clip in my timeline and it played back no problem. Unfortunately, removing those plug ins meant that my external monitoring no longer worked. So that's not good in the end. I went to Blackmagic and downloaded the latest driver so I could get my external monitoring back. However, that re-introduced the studdery playback (even when rendered in the timeline).

One little piece of the puzzle that I didn't share: I have an adjustment layer above all my video in the sequence. In this adjustment layer, I've added a timecode window burn filter so I always have a window burn in the bottom right corner of the screen. Just for kicks, I turned it off. Now I can play back the DL clips w/o any stuttering and I don't have to render. So I guess this is a solution to my problem for now.

Do you know why an adjustment layer would cause this issue. Thank you for your help and suggestions!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:03:49 pm

I'm not sure about the stutter...

do you need the burn in for output?

or do you like it for monitoring?

monitoring can be handled in overlay settings (wrench in program monitor)

output can be handled in effects tab of export window in ppro are AME.

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: AE Dynamic Link Clips do not play back in Premiere
by on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:02:15 pm

Have you guys tried using the Render and Replace function in PPro?

Also I've heard some of the older BM drivers work better than the new ones, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly which versions of the old ones works the best.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:09:00 pm

Hey Andrew,

I was having all kinds of trouble with Render and Replace, but since I've updated my drivers, I just tried it and it worked really well. It appears that you can go back to the AE Comp if you need to, so that's helpful. I'll be doing the render and replace on all my DL clips and see how it works.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:06:19 pm

Hey Alex,

Yeah, we use the TC burn for monitoring and for output. The way we've been doing it is a different TC Burn layer for each act. That way each act can have its own hour TC. Act 1 is 1 hr, Act 2, is 2 hr, Act 3 is 3Hr, and on. So since the show I'm working on is 10 acts, I have 10 Adjustment layers that each have a TC filter in them. I throw the appropriate layer on the top video channel, lock it, and start editing below. Sounds a little complicated, but that's what we've been doing in FCP7 and we'll continue it for a while in Premiere.

I just stumbled upon transparent layers instead of adjustment layers. I'm not sure how Premiere treats them differently, but when I add a transparent layer, my DL sequences play back just fine and I don't have to render them.

Weird things to learn and keep track of. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:54:10 pm

Transparent's are just clear video with no down stack processing capabilities...

adjustment layers with nothing applied are sorta the same...

but also have the down stack image processing...

so there must be some more overhead to deal with there for sure...

glad you are on a working path...I learn as much from these discussions as I tend to spout off. :)

thx...

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]